1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving an article out of the paper because it's received late

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, May 22, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Tell the stringer to get lost, but don't tell parents to blame him. It's ultimately your fault for relying on the slacker.

2. BigJim5190

BigJim5190 Member

I'm sort of in the line of thinking as you're both at fault. Stringer had two chances to get track copy in (in TWO days), so he needs to go. Even if it means doing it yourself until you can find someone who can make it happen.

I also agree with Clerk in the REAL deadline hadn't passed, you needed to get that story in the paper. In the end, your paper looked bad because the results weren't in - even if it wasn't your fault.

My shop had a similar situation a year ago with deadlines for day-game call-ins. We had a 9 p.m. deadline to call in, but really the paper didn't leave the floor until 11:15. That was essentially an older deadline issue before we jumped to a new computer system for layout and composing.

However, we still had people clinging to that 9 p.m. deadline, which, since I was the prep guy at the time, would result in me getting calls the next day from coaches who tried to call in at 9:15 (after coaching the game, picking up the field, dropping kids off, getting dinner and other assorted junk) and just missed the deadline. Either that or they didn't care. Either way, our paper looked bad because we didn't have the result in the paper the next day. Normally, I wouldn't have had a problem with it if they were busy, but if it was taking time out of their checking of fantasy teams or playing games, then it became an issue.

So, tangent aside, you need to look at the bigger picture rather than sending the kid a message. Parents don't care why it wasn't in - just that it wasn't in.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Giventhe fact life rarely allows us to go back and undo our mistakes, I agree that some sort of featurized recap might be the best way to go.

And, yes, emphasize to the stringer the importance of meeting deadlines.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

smallpotatoes digests the guidance/suggestions/blame he has received.

[​IMG]

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Second it. Late to the party here, but you don't punish the team because a writer couldn't get his shit together. After all, the track team was there on time for the meet. :)

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Time to take the stringer behind the shed.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Have the school fax track results to you the same day as the meet so that, at the very least, YOU can get the agate and a quotless roundup in the paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted