1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving an article out of the paper because it's received late

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, May 22, 2009.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Jesus, is this even a debate? Cut the doofus loose, and write something yourself until you can find someone reliable.

And tell the parents no one wanted to read about their stupid kid particpating in that stupid sport anyways.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What he said.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

winner winner chicken dinner

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I'd follow up with some sort of feature on somebody in the meet. At least you get something in about it. After I bounced the dumb ass who can't meet a deadline.

5. Indeed.

6. Notepad

Notepad Member

It is "you'll find someone WHO will."

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

whom will?

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A.

and Men.

(Probably with a "Friggin" in the middle.)

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Has anyone added Tebow to the SportsJournalists.com Dictionary, yet? I assume it means Jesus or God.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Whome Wille

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Should have gotten the stories in if possible, then either tell the dude hit the deadline or see you later.

I would not take copy, expect your readers to have it, and then not run it. That is passive aggressive and not good management.

You service the readers by running it, and cut the guy loose, that's how it should be done. IMO, the parents should be upset. What are you going to tell them? Go yell at the stringer? You are responsible.

Now, if you couldn't get it in because of deadline, that's a different story. But, you have to make the honest effort next time.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Can the slow stringer.
    Then look in the mirror. You had time to put it in, even though deadline had passed? Then deadline really hadn't passed. Only the time to file the story, set by you (and undoubtedly reasonably), had. The first story should have been in the paper, and a new stringer (or you) should have been on the scene for the next meet.
    Then it all happened again? Neither he nor you learned from your mistake, and the track parents aren't happy.
    Still have the stories? Either e-mail 'em to the parents or run a track page with them and a couple of pictures and catch up. You fill a page quick and everybody's happy.
    Again, can the slow poke.

Draft saved Draft deleted