1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving an article out of the paper because it's received late

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, May 22, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

For the last two weeks, I have not put news on a high school track team in the paper because I did not receive the piece from the stringer until after I turned in my pages (and after the time that I told the stringer I needed the story).
    Of course the track parents aren't happy because I haven't had track stories the last few weeks.
    To be honest, I guess I could wait a little longer for the piece without missing my production deadline, but it's not as if the meet is that afternoon. The stringer had at least a day or two to do the story.
    I have told the stringer I need the stuff sooner, but what should I tell the readers?
    After all, the single most important thing about my job is making sure that something is in the paper when the readers expect to see it in the paper, is it not?

2. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Stringer needs to be told that if he can't get his shit done on time, you'll find someone that will.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Is the stringer still getting paid, even though his stories aren't getting in?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

End of thread.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Just for the ones that get in.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

He's gotten his last one in. Time for someone reliable who has a clock and knows how to use it.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

A DAY OR TWO? To write a high school track story? Tebow, cut this clown loose unless there's literally no one in that town with enough working typing fingers to take his/her place.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Seriously, if this happens more than once and he's still writing for you, you have larger problems.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, he doesn't sound very useful at all.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Small, you're a good poster here, but two things:

1) You say you had extra time to wait; if you had waited until you absolutely couldn't, would the story have gotten in? If so, then some of the problem shifts to you.

2) But having said that, you're the manager here, and once it happened once, you needed to ensure it didn't repeat. Again, that kind of falls to you.

Not trying to be a jerk, but that's the way it works in what's left of this business.

11. True points ... but that is how it should work, too. Sorry, but if you have time left before the actual deadline, wait it out, if you don't (and don't call the stringer a bunch to annoy him until he turns it in), then the blame is on you.

But of course, you shouldn't have to do any of that because you should have a stringer that can turn in a track story quicker than a day or two later (and then late at that).

Honestly, I don't know what you tell the parents. Saying it took too long to write the story will make you - and the writer - sound stupid (because it is a day or two later). I would just do whatever you can to get the next one in there.

12. I laughed

gallows laughter

Draft saved Draft deleted