1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

leaving a job you just started a few months ago

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brain of J, Aug 7, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

As recalled previously on another thread, I jumped from a job that wasn't working out (tiny weekly) to a better situation after about three months. No regrets.

Only real advice: Keep your mouth shut about this around the people you're working with, and outside the office as well. You just never know how information can get around ...

2. donaugust

donaugust Member

Agreed. I'm leaving a place where I've been just about as long. Other than one trusted friend I work with and another co-worker who is a reference of mine, I didn't tell anyone until I got the job offer in writing and accepted it.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Don't even take the chance that they'll be cool with you looking. It was a mistake I made. Look out for yourself and no one else. If a better offer comes, you look out for yourself. Because your current paper doesn't give two shits about anything other than you showing up at the desk or at the game.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

someone told me, if you're thinking about leaving, go ahead and leave. follow your instincts.

5. Superman

Superman Guest

To quote Dave Chappelle, Popcopy executive trainer

"Why? 'Cause fuck 'em! That's why. You graduated grade school and don't have to take shit from anyone!"

;D

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

It fully depends on your situation and your relationship with those involved at your old paper.

Personally, I felt I was screwed a couple months ago by my current paper. So I'm looking. And I love this paper, and the people, and hope to work here in the future, but not everyone knows. My two closests friends/trusted coworkers here know, my mentor/other closest friend/reference No. 1 knows and my EE/reference No. 2 knows. And by "knows," I mean, knows I'm looking. Some know more than others. But because I really like this place, despite the screwing, I'm trying to be diplomatic about it.

Of course, they were here before me, they'll be here when I'm gone and. hopefully, they'll be here when/if I come back.

Aslo, two similar pieces of advice I have learned along the way: Never burn your bridges, you never know when you'll cross that path again. or, be careful which shoes you step on because you don't know who's ass you'll have to kiss in the future.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've told my editor about a job interview I'm doing Friday. It's in-chain, plus where I am they understand that people need to move on, and I've been where I am (a weekly in the suburbs) for a little more than a year. They know that I'm not on the gold watch plan there. If I'm going to be in the business long-term, a question I still pose to the bathroom mirror every few days, I need to be making a little upwards momentum. Lucky for me, they know that.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you want, I'll apply for your job after you go... guarantee if they hire me, they won't be around much longer...

9. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I agree. Don't tell a paper a thing unless you have an offer in hand.

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

That might be a fun challenge...

11. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

After reading this thread, I can see why so many journalists hate their jobs.

After all, they start them with a bitter distrust for management and it goes downhill from there.

Thank goodness I have a boss who respects me and is interested in my career. He knows everytime an offer comes up from another school and why or why not I am interested in pursuing it. It makes it very easy to love my job.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly.

Draft saved Draft deleted