1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leavin on a Jet Plane ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

So in about an hour, a car is picking myself and the newly-minted Mrs. Rhody and we're heading to Hawaii (with a changeover in Phoenix) for our honeymoon.
    I'm excited for the trip, but not for the flying part. I'm a control freak and can barely stand being in cars when I'm not driving; therefore, planes freak me out bad. I won't take pills to calm the nerves (personal preference) and all I can do is try to sleep, read a book or scour the internet (US Airways has it...what will they wack me for me?).
    Anyway, any ideas of things we definitely need to do on the islands? We'll be in Honululu for a few days, then we start a one-week cruise that hits all of them. We're doing some bike trek on a volcano and I want to go see where they filmed Lost. I also want to visit the places that were on Man vs. Food. Other than that, it's going to be a whole lot of relaxing with the new wife.
    And is it worth it for us to throw around "honeymoon" everywhere? A buddy told me to try and use it everywhere - a bump up to first class on the plane, getting a nice table at dinner, free booze at a bar, etc. Will it work?
    Sorry for the rambling. I've been up six 9 a.m. and decided instead of sleeping, I'd stay away until we got to the airport. Gotta run now - gotta wake up Mrs. Rhody from her three-hour nap. I'll check in when we're at 10,000 feet.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do not check in at 10,000 feet or at all while you're on your honeymoon.
    Forget this place. It's your damn honeymoon...enjoy it with the new wife.
    Have a blast and tell us about it when you get home.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

She'll be sleeping. I'll be battling paranoia of re-creating Lost. I'd be Hurley.

4. Listen to my man, right here. He knows what it do.

Focus on gettin' that music straight for the bedroom, feel me?

5. maberger

maberger Member

about your volcano bike trek: if you mean you'll be on maui and doing haleakala, do it for dawn. the sunrise over the volcano is awesome, and you'll be back at your hotel and poolside by early afternoon. it's worth the 3:30 am wakeup call.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Relax and enjoy. Hawaii is meant to be enjoyed, not rushed. 75 degree water, white sandy beaches.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hell yeah, drop "we're on the honeymoon" line everywhere you can. Worst you'll get is a congrats, and that's nice too.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I haven't been on the A321s that have the inflight internet, but i'm sure it's the same price as all the other airlines... probably 7.95...

and i'm sorry you're having to fly my airline to get there.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

spnited has it right. Visit this site as little as possible during the actual honeymoon. I'm sure you can find PLENTY of things to do that are better than surfing here.

I can't really offer any advice to Hawaii, except that you can drive past Dog the Bounty Hunter's house/office on one of the islands.

I can, however, offer advice on flying long distances. I was on a plane 8-9 hours when I went to Germany. While it was long, it didn't really bother me much either. It probably also helped that we got a hot meal and a movie too.

We left at 5pm and got in to Germany at 7am (or something like that). So my biggest problem was trying to stay up until the evening, so you could get on more of a German time schedule. I think I made it until 9-10 pm before finally crashing.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Never been to Hawaii, but a few tips for the long flight:
    1) Assuming you only have the one connection in Phoenix, change the time on your watch as soon as you get settled on the flight to Phoenix. And then again when you get on the plane to Hawaii. That should help some with jet lag. Then, stay away from TV as much as possible in Hawaii. TV causes jet lag.
    2) Bring an iPod. Even with your new wife, conversing with anyone for 10 straight hours is a chore. You'll both want to sleep. And staring at nothing but water for that second flight is going to get old real quick.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

A-freaking-men. Island time exists for a reason.

Next time you go to Hawaii, if you do, make an effort to fly Hawaiian Airlines. It's worth the trouble.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A-freaking-men to this... Hawaiian is the best airline I've flown. Franky, Rhody, I'm upset you didn't come to me for advice on this sooner ....

On Oahu, Pearl Harbor is a must ... even if you're not a history buff, it is an amazing experience. The Lost sites are excellent and if you and your bride are up for it, Diamondhead is pretty cool, too. I didn't get a chance to see the North Shore, but I'm told it's a must-see.

Down in Waikiki, Lulu's is a fun bar, but I have to admit, the found the beach itself to be overrated.

I gather that you'll make a stop on the Big Island? If so, the one absolute MUST is seeing Kilauea at Volcanoes National Park. Simply put, you'll never see anything like it. It's where my fiancee and I got engaged. It is a full-day excursion, though, if done properly.

It's about a 90-minute drive south of Kona, the resort area on the west coast of the island. A stop-off at South Point (the southernmost point in the US) is worth a look if you have an extra hour and half.

Other than that, Waipio Valley (made famous in Jurassic Park), Akaka Falls, Rainbow Falls and about a hundred beaches are all worth seeing.

That said, it is your honeymoon. Try to relax and enjoy paradise. I always recommend spending as much time outside of Honolulu as possible.

I can give you some more specific advice for the Big Island if you'd like. Shoot me a PM.

Draft saved Draft deleted