1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leatherheads

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Mar 29, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Predictable?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That would be ... awesome.

IF they got the same access Frankenheimer got in the 60s to real tracks, drivers -- hell, real races -- which won't happen. Almost of the footage used in Grand Prix was real because the FIA let them put a camera car in the races.

IF they significantly alter the actual plot, which is soap opera swarmy as far as any plot points not having to do with racing. Eve Marie Saint's histrionics when Sartee dies is worth a Charlton Heston overacting standing ovation.

3. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

Who cares about plot? I will be going to this movie to ogle George Clooney and John Krasinski.

4. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Her character had the first blog.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Somehow, I don't see this one coming close to, from a similar time frame, "Chariots of Fire."

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You mean they're not?

*Ducks*

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Saw it this afternoon and I wasn't floored, but I wasn't bored either. I found it reasonably entertaining, which may say more about me than it does the movie. A few good laughs. Zellweger's character isn't really a sports writer -- she's a newsie doing an expose' on one of the players -- and I didn't think the portrayal was as bad as, say, the girl on "My Boys". The portrayal of sports writers in general adhered to all the stereotypes, which personally I have grown numb to. In fairness, the protrayal of football players also was stereotypical. None of which spoiled my enjoyment of it.

The appearances of several familiar faces -- Stephen Root and the guy who did The Rick commercials -- helped keep it interesting for me, and it occurred to me that everything Zellweger is doing these days seems to be set in the 20s or 30s. Hmmm ...

8. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

NW,

thanks for the review...this is exactly the kind of movie review that they all should be. It boils down to "do I think I wasted my money?" None of the rest really matters. "F" the direction, cinemaphotagraphy, or anything else. Novelist knows what matters.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

One conversion down, 8,000 to go ... ;D

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Saw it last night with a friend and I enjoyed it. The movie has its moments -- the good does outweigh the bad, IMO.

And I don't get the hatred for Zellweger. I thought she was pretty damned good in the movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted