1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Least talked about manager's job (Pirates)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by typewriterhill, Oct 31, 2007.

1. While all of MLB is talking about the disgraceful and selfish acts of Alex Rodriguez, Hank Steinbrenner acting more like the 80's version of his father, Joe Torre insulted by $5 million to manage a $200 million payroll in NY, another team and GM throw Grady Little under the bus, Torre to work for another nut job ownership (McCourt), and Joe Girardi feels he's here to demand the Yankee way, the Pittsburgh Pirates just wait and wait and wait for their turn in line to grab some crumbs off the floor.

News in today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette have the Buccos interviewing Joey Cora and Joel Skinner, not asking for permission to talk with Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell, and former player Jay Bell is no longer interested.

There have been articles in Seattle, Minnesota, and Cleveland talking about their teams chances to go after left fielder Jason Bay as if the Pirates are this century's Kansas City A's.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well, nobody is talking about the Pirates’ job because I would doubt that anyone would want it. Hell, I’m not sure I would take if offered.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Huntington is at least going about it the right way. He cut bait with Tracy and is starting fresh.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

GM: How would you like to manage the Pirates this year?

Pastor: Gee, I don't know...

GM: What do you mean, you don't know? This is your chance to manage in the big leagues.

Pastor: Let me get back to you, will ya? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Joey Cora and Joel Skinner? That's the best they can fucking do?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is the Jim Trifecta of Riggleman, Levebvre and Essian available?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Given that ownership probably will start someone off about $500,000, yes.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is Preston Gomez dead?

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

What about Fregosi?

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

SOMEONE CALL TOM TREBLEHORN, DAMMIT!

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Next spring, two Asian groundskeepers will be laying down the lines at PNC, and a subtitle will appear at their feet:

"These guys are shitty."

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Really surprised Phil Garner hasn't been in the mix yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted