1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Least scary scary movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Only two movies have ever scared me: The Exorcist and the original Nightmare on Elm Street. None of the sequels.

I got over Nightmare. I can watch it now and not be scared. It's a good movie.

I still won't ever watch The Exorcist again.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was always able to watch Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloweeen, pretty much any of the slasher films in the 80s without being scared. And this was when I was roughly ages 7-13.
    But Friday the 13th always creeped me the fuck out.
    I think it was the production values of the early films. They were so bad it was almost like watching a home video of the events, or a snuff film.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bigpern and Bubbler are right: "Paranormal Activity" and any film by M. Night Shamalamadingdongmandingdong suck giant turds thru a straw.

I'm with Mizzou: It's tough to give me a jolt at the movies. The original Scream kicked all sorts of ass, with the law of diminishing returns kicking in with the sequels (let's not discuss Scream 4, which was a pile of shit). The Saws were by and large pretty good, even if they were largely less scary than revolting.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first Saw movie scared me... I don't know if Hostel scared me, but it disturbed the shit out of me...

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agree with BYH and Mizzou. The original Saw was very good (despite Cary Elwes horrific acting) and Scream was a game-changing horror film. The rest of the Scream movies sucked donkey balls.

The original Nightmare on Elm Street was fantastic and creepy as fuck. It wasn't until the third one and all subsequent Nightmares that Freddy became a punchline. He was a legit horror villain in the first two.

Hellraiser was awesome horror flick as well with some really disturbing imagery.

I saw The Exorcist way too late to find it remotely scary. I don't think I saw it until 2000 or so. It was definitely on DVD when I saw it.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

The original Nightmare on Elm Street had one of my all-time favorite lines. Johnny Depp's character has just been shredded thru his bed and the cop asks where the coroner is. The reply is something like "In the bathroom puking his guts out."

Wes Craven's New Nightmare was pretty creepy and very, very, very underrated, in a mindfuck sorta way. I view it as kind of the rough draft for Scream.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Awesome.

8. Lotterys4suckers

Lotterys4suckers New Member

Most horror movies scare me just based on the utter surprise and darkness of them. Scream 3 I think is the scariest movie.

Least scary that I've seen? Scary Movie 3.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I don't really do horror movies or scary movies -- hello, I am prone to jump during a particularly loud peal of thunder -- but my friends somehow got me to watch Blair Witch when we were 13, calling it 'the scariest movie ever.'

I didn't even flinch. I didn't even think it was all that scary, just really, really stupid.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I knew nothing about Blair Witch when I saw it. The final scene left me with chills.

Someone here mentioned "The Exorcist." I didn't really think of that as a scary movie, until I saw the extended version. I can see why they deleted some of that stuff from the original.

I still maintain that the original "Halloween" is the scariest movie I've ever seen.

Anyone seen "House of Wax"? Watched that on AMC back in October. For the most part, standard stuff, but there was some pretty damn creepy moments.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have to make my obligatory "Saw sucks" post here.

Draft saved Draft deleted