1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Least scary scary movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Grudge.
    Just an awful, awful movie. Watched it with my wife while we were still dating. I'd heard it was pretty scary. After 45 minutes we both looked at each other and said, "What the fuck is this crap?"
    You have some random kid popping up and meowing, Sarah Michelle Gellar jumping around randomly in time or between dimensions or some such nonsense ... it just makes no fucking sense.
    Easily one of the two worst movies I've ever seen.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yes, well said. "The Grudge" was awful.

I thought "The Ring" had potential, but in the end, left me empty.

Any "Friday the 13th" movie is crap.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love 'The Grudge.' I think it's the best Americanization of a J-horror movie.
    I dig Japanese horror movies, though.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm more impressed when a movie can scare me...

Blair Witch scared the shit out of me. I knew almost nothing about it when I saw it at a media screening. I think it's one of those movies where the more you know about it, the less scary it is.

I'm sure there are plenty more, but that's really the standout.

The Ring was scary, but not overly so. I agree The Grudge was pretty stupid.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Have we already forgotten about that movie about the killer tire?

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

The Child's Play movies were horribly bad. But I think someone could take the concept and make a decent scary movie.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Anyone ever see Bloody Murder, a total ripoff of Friday the 13th?

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That movie made real life scary for me after I saw it. Driving to work one day when a tire - off the back of a truck going the other way, rolled through the median and across the road in front of me and just kept rolling. Crazy.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Remember when I said The Grudge was easily one of the two worst movies I've ever seen?
    Rubber is No. 1, and it ain't even close.
    I want to kidney punch the director of Rubber 82 times, once for each minute of my life I wasted watching that dreadful piece of cinematic garbage.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's the thing about Blair Witch, which I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned on this thread, is that anyone who heard about it before seeing it hated it.

I saw it opening night. Had only heard a little buzz about it, so I decided to check it out and it became one of my favorite horror movies ever. I was driving home on fog covered roads through rural area of my town that night was completely creeped out.

But anyone I know who didn't see it opening weekend thought it was terrible and not scary at all. Word of mouth made that movie a box office success, but I think it ruined it for a lot of people as well.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Scared the fuck out of me. Based on the reaction of the rest of the theater, I wasn't the only one.

When I was younger the Stephen King movies like Cujo and Christine and Pet Sematary were all pretty scary. I know it was TV, but the Clown in IT was pretty insane too...

I don't think any of the Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th movies ever scared me, even as a kid. Halloween did. Poltergeist did, but I was really young when that came out.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I remember being intrigued by the Poltergeist commercials and telling everyone that I was going to see the movie. My Mom: "I'm not so sure about that."

But then the movie came to our local drive-in and I begged my parents to take me. My Dad, who would only go to the movies at the drive-in, said he was up for it. So we went. And for about 90 minutes, I was like "this isn't scary at all." A little suspenseful at times, but nothing my badass 9-year-old self couldn't handle. We're nearing what I think is the end of the movie--the last morning the family is spending in the house--and I'm like "Can we stick around for the second one?"

Then of course all hell breaks loose, quite literally, and I am suddenly not as tough as I thought I was. Movie FINALLY, mercifully ends and I'm not arguing when my parents decide it's time to go home. I am stone silent in the backseat.

Dad: "What'd you think of the movie?"
    Me: "It--it was OK."
    Dad: "Want to go home and watch TV? Maybe find a station with some static?"
    Me: "No!"
    Dad: "Put you in front of it?"
    Me: "NO!"
    Dad: "Put you in front of it and maybe have it suck you thru?"
    Me "DAD CUT IT OUT!"
    Dad: "It'll suck you thru and we'll have to try and get you back from the poltergeists."
    Me: "DAD STOP IT THAT'S NOT FUNNY WAHAAAAAAAA *CRYING*
    Mom: "DAMNIT I TOLD YOU HE WAS TOO YOUNG FOR THIS MOVIE!!!!"

Draft saved Draft deleted