1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Least scary scary movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The other day I watched "Dream House," which has to be one of the most horribly executed thrillers ever put to film. By an acclaimed director, no less.

What supposedly "scary movies" have you found ridiculous? Seems like it's a tough genre to work in just because so many of the tropes are so well-worn by now. Everything is telegraphed.

2. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

The Fog remake with Maggie Grace. Not scary for a single second. Instead, it played more like a Nancy Drew story. At least it had Selma Blair......

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Dream House' was so bad it was good.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Paranormal Activity.

Lots of doors and cabinets opening ALL BY THEMSELVES!!!!!!

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Disagree on Dream House. I didn't see any of the previews so I thought it was pretty good. Not a horror movie but a decent suspense flick.

6. Dick Whitman

Really?

I didn't see the trailer - thank God, since apparently it gave away the entire movie.

But I thought it was laughably bad. I predicted 12 percent on Rotten Tomatoes when I watched it. I went and checked afterward: 6 percent.

There was no suspense/horror movie starting with "The Shining" through "The Others" and up through and including "Secret Window," "Shutter Island," and that turd with Bob DeNiro that I can't remember, that it didn't unashamedly rip off. Oh, with a little Demi Moore/Patrick Swayze "Ghost" action thrown in.

I would say that this was the worst movie I've seen in the last two years. Neck-and-neck with "The Other Woman."

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Pretty much everything made by M. Night Shamalamadingdong.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Scarecrow Slayer (2004): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353984/

Only because I had two friends that were PAs on the movie and I figure if Coldcat sees this, he can have a good laugh about it as well.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dream House was a disjointed mess. But it wasn't as bad as that Amanda Seyfried vehicle where she tries to save her kidnapped sister. Characters built up and then shunted from the plot seemingingly randomly. Not suspenseful, and full of implausible coincidences and knowledge from other people that allow Seyfried to escape or track down people

10. Dick Whitman

Sometimes it's fun to watch horrible movies just because it makes you understand what doesn't work, like some of the plot holes and contrivances you mention.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Yeah, I could see Shutter Island and The Others. I guess I didn't take it too seriously.

12. Dick Whitman

I could definitely see it as a guilty pleasure. I think what was kind of frustrating to me was that there seemed to be the seed of a decent movie in there somewhere. A lot of critics actually praised Daniel Craig for his performance.

Draft saved Draft deleted