1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Least likable Super Bowl champion of all time (crossthread thread)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Feb 4, 2013.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

The 1995 Cowboys were easily the least likeable of their dynasty years.

I grew up in 49ers country, yet my dislike of that Dallas team far outweighed any love I had of the Red and Gold. Everything about them, from their owner, to head coach, to star players was so incredibly boorish and obnoxious. I remember thinking: If this is "America's Team," then America has a problem. To wit:

- Barry Switzer. Can't think of another example of a team winning a Super Bowl in spite of its coach. His presence, or lackthereof, was such that the Cowboys were just ripe to be knocked on their arrogrant asses in the Super Bowl if the planets had aligned. Remember, this was in the middle of the NFC's run of 13 Super Bowl wins in 14 years and NOBODY outside Western PA thought the Steelers had a chance. If Neil O'Donnell doesn't throw those two awful passes, Pittsburgh would have been the one to do the honors.

- Deion: He was at the height of his stomach-churning antics. This was when he released his "Must Be the Money" rap album, when his toothy mug graced the cover of SI ("Why is This Man Worth $35 Million?), when he joined Jerry Jones and Michael Irvin in a Pizza Hut commercial with the "Dallas" TV theme music playing the background. Barf. Years later, he revealed how incredibly miserable and unhappy he was.

- Michael Irvin: In less than a year, he went from winning Super Bowl XXX to being arrested at a scene where "XXX" only begins to describe it. But he was all smiles after winning a third world title. Quote: "In fo' years, we won trey rangs!" Pretty much sums it up.

2. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

It's actually a debate about who exactly came up with the Gatorade shower. I saw a story how the '84 Bears -- after beating the Redskins for the first Chicago playoff win since ancient times -- invented it.

One more thing to dislike about the '86 Giants was how they'd undress on the sidelines and mug for the TV cameras late in games. Ditching their jerseys and shoulder pads was, I guess, their way of signaling the game being over. Shirtless, sweaty Harry Carson and Jim Burt = ummm, no thanks.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm a Cowboys fan, and I hated Deion, and especially Switzer.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If they did that's the only time they used it before the Giants started it. I don't recall it happening at all in '85.

Draft saved Draft deleted