1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Least-favorite announcer of college football games

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dan Rydell, Oct 21, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You know, looking at those crews, I can't see any play-by-play guy who hasn't put in his time. Kevin Harlan would seem to be the most nondescript, and even he has a resume.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I very much enjoy listening to Pam Ward do PBP. She says what is happening and stays out of the way of what you see on the screen.

Many many years ago, that is how Ray Scott did NFL football and it was very good.

Television PBP needs less talk - - not more hype.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

You're looking live at the worst college football announcer, the worst college basketball announcer, and the worst NBA announcer.... Brent Musburger

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Musburger certainly isn't at the top of my list, but there are plenty worse. In my mind, he deserves some credit for his survival instinct, if nothing else.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Whoever compared Ray Scott's classic sparse baritone to Pam Ward's inability to say anything interesting needs an emergency frontal lobotomy.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . affecting enthusiasm for the Domers.

7. Objection.
    Non-responsive.
    Compares how a person sounds with what they say. Scott didn't exactly brim with insight.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I'll rephrase it.

Ray Scott's announcing was one of Joe Friday detachment. Pam Ward not brimming with insight comes from her general suckitude rather than detachment and any comparison between Scott and Ward is objectively ridiculous.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hard to beat "Dowler right , Dale Left , Starr back, Dowler Touchdown"

We could provide out own insight.

Ned Martin was the baseball version for Scott

"Rice swings West Bound Mass Pike"

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Don't mind Pam Ward at all, but Danielson has driven me nuts this year listening to him offer superlative after superlative over that Georgia QB. Guy's not Jesus, dude.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Musberger, hands down.

Draft saved Draft deleted