1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Least-favorite announcer of college football games

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dan Rydell, Oct 21, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'll be a little sad, but aren't the Daves just making the move to ESPN?
    I thought that was the deal, they would just transistion over.
    Or maybe now the 11:30 game will be broadcast by the awesomeness that is Andre Ware.

As for Pam Ward, I like the way she calls games. She's smart. Knows her stuff and generally just lets the game go.
    But the hate is because she's a chick.
    Same goes for the sideline reporters, who are all mostly female. They get hated on, while the male sideline reporters get ignored.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Because we don't have the right to dislike her delivery, voice or game preparation. Oh-TAY.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

She's light years aehad of Musberger. She's better than most of the regional telecasts I've heard. Hey Petros Papadakis, who I actually like, I'm lookiong at you.
    I think her game prep is pretty good. When her and Spielman called games together, I enjoyed watching and listening to them.
    They made a good pair.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Lundquist/Danielson is head and shoulders the best above everyone else.

Fowler is surprisingly descent.

Pam Ward is brutally bad.

Caught the Ball State fiasco the other night, and my first thought was "Is he drunk?"

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Gary Danielson is awful. He knows not of what he speaks. Todd Blackledge is the best in the (college football) business by a long shot.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Todd Blackledge is pretty good, isn't he?

I remember when he started about 20 years ago, doing the syndicated Penn State highlights show. He may have had the stiffest delivery short of "BOOM goes the dynamite" kid.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

He works at it. Watches a lot of film. I love watching him break down a play and actually learning something from what he's saying.

Danielson usually finds a guy to pick on or a point to harp on the entire game and spends the entire game looking for things to reinforce his worldview and nothing else.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody know what the deal is with NFL crews? I figure each network has four teams that work a full year and the rest of the gigs are handled on a week by week basis? It' just odd because most of the second-tier teams are so nondescript, the pxp guy seems to be a recent college grad/local sports anchor and what the color guy lacks in "star power" is usually only surpassed by a lack of insight.
    It's a bit of a comedown from the almost daily analysis you'll find during the week.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The current NFL crews:

CBS

Jim Nantz/Phil Simms
    Greg Gumbel/Dan Dierdorf
    Dick Enberg or Gus Johnson/Randy Cross (Dan Fouts sometimes joins this crew)
    Kevin Harlan/Rich Gannon
    Ian Eagle/Solomon Wilcots
    Gus Johnson/Steve Tasker
    Don Criqui/Dan Fouts
    Bill Macatee/Steve Beuerlein

FOX

Joe Buck or Dick Stockton/Troy Aikman/Pam Oliver
    Kenny Albert/Daryl Johnston/Tony Siragusa
    Dick Stockton or Matt Vasgersian or Chris Myers/Brian Baldinger/Laura Okmin (Brian Billick sometimes joins this crew)
    Sam Rosen or Chris Myers/Tim Ryan/Chris Myers
    Matt Vasgersian or Chris Rose or Chris Myers/J. C. PearsonNichelle Turner (John Lynch sometimes joins this crew)
    Ron Pitts/Tony Boselli/Charissa Thompson
    Thom Brennaman/Brian Billick/Danellye Sargent
    Chris Rose/John Lynch/Krista Voda

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The 100-year-old Don Criqui is still working apparently

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I remember when I could name ALL of the NFL announcing crews. Now I realize why the FOX crews seem to lack chemistry.
    Can't wait to read Dr. Z's annual rankings. I remember when all the color guys were qbs and coaches.

12. tadwriter

tadwriter Member

Gotta agree with Claws: Musberger

Draft saved Draft deleted