1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Least-favorite announcer of college football games

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dan Rydell, Oct 21, 2007.

1. kcsportscaster

kcsportscaster New Member

My worst:

PXP: Pam Ward and Eric Collins

Color: Bob Davie

Sideline: Erin Andrews, enough said. God, please tell the suits in Bristol that her 15 minutes are up!!!! I'm sick of seeing that anorexic no talent every other night!!!!

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ever notice that after the sundress controversy, Erin Andrews was rarely shown above the neck, if she was shown at all.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yes.

And he's awful as ever when he's in the booth.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Anyone who heard the monstrosity that was Todd Harris during the Ball State-Central Michigan game last week won't soon forget that lake effect snow falls in Mount Pleasant, Mich., Ball State's QB is Nate Lewis (actually it's Davis) and that HARRIS' PARTNER is Ray Lewis (actually it's Bentley).

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

YOU ARE LOOKING AT SportsJournalists.com!

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you mean below the neck, but perhaps not.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Pam Ward17.

8. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Best: Franklin - Just something about a Saturday night game in the south with him behind the mic.
    Verne - The voice of southern football, now that Franklin isn't.
    McDonough - Like him for some reason.
    Nessler - Solid all around. Does good work every time.

Best analysts: Danielson has grown on me on the CBS games the last 2 years.
    Blackledge - best in the business.

Worst PBP: Pam Ward - enough said.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

this list begins and ends with Brent Musberger. He is pompous and has no apparent talent. Never has. CBS was right when they fired him, lo, those many years ago. I cheered. Now, I grit my teeth every Saturday night when a terrific game comes on ABC and, crap, it's Musberger.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not trying to be contrarian... I am just surprised so many people mentioned Pam Ward. She doesn't do shtick and she just gets out of the way and let's the game speak for itself. For the most part, she is technically really good. She gives you pertinent info you need--no stupid fluff, just down and distance and some sparse ID about what just happened--and you can sit back and enjoy the game without a stupid announcer getting in the way. I know the people on this thread aren't alone. I have seen blogs ripping the stupidest little things with regard to her. I just don't get it. I wish more announcers were like her.

If I had to choose my worst, I'd go with Musberger. He just dumbs down a football game for me like no one else can. I happen to like Kirk Herbstreit--no rational reason, other than he seems like a good guy and he is having fun doing what he does--so he offsets Musberger when they're together. I flipped back at the end of last night's drubbing, though, and the two of them trying to keep the three people still watching by talking about everything other than football was just painful. At least when Madden and Michaels used to do it in a Monday Night blow out, it could get sort of entertaining.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

12. chester

chester Member

Read in the story where they are looking to put some of the regional "over-the-air" games on in markets like Cleveland. I hope that's true, as somebody who lives near there who likes watching SEC football (even if it is Kentucky-Mississippi State).

Draft saved Draft deleted