1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Least-favorite announcer of college football games

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dan Rydell, Oct 21, 2007.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Petros Papadakis -- former USC running back, currently the one-half of the most entertaining sports show in Los Angeles -- as he pointed out on his show yesterday, today is the 6th Washington game he's called this season. For that reason alone, I'll cut him some slack.

Ron Franklin is the best; but need to also give some love to Dr. Jerry Punch, who I hope one day will become the voice of his hometown team, the Vols.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I won't. I remember thinking he was annoying as all get out last season when he was doing a Pac-10 game.

Although, I do like him on Pros vs Joes ... hmm.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'll nominate a new guy: Rob Bromley.

Only a handful, maybe, have heard this guy call UK games.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Petros is an acquired taste.
    You watch enough of the late Pac-10 games you get used to him and when you compare him to any of the Raycom Daves, Petros sounds like a genius.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

His family's restaurant in San Pedro is pretty good, too.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Watching BC-Wake reminded me...you could get seriously drunk if you took a shot every time David Norrie places the player he's talking about on the opposite team.

7. Is Petros the guy who was doing color on the Apple Cup today -- yes, I watched -- because whoever it was is the announcing equivalent of crab lice.
    And Musberger's still worse. He was on PTI yesterday jacked up like a 14-year old meth-head.
    Me likey ol' Verne, though.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Pat Summerall during last year's Cotton Bowl. So very sad.

9. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Musberger really needs to let me know what a "shuffle pass" is.

10. chester

chester Member

I remember talking to Rob for a paper I did in college. Seem nice enough, but something about his voice I just didn't like. Is he still doing UK's local broadcasts?

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

If the guy he was with is his usual partner, Barry Tompkins, I disagree. Tompkins is a very good announcer.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I've always liked Musberger. His verbal tics never bothered me and because I grew up watching B10 games, Musberger at the mike made it feel like a big game. I like Musberger and Herbstreit together.

The B10 network guys are just brutal, but I consider that network's "talent" (Revsin excepted) as just barely above a student broadcast. My least favorite "professional" announcer is Pam Ward. She brings absolutely nothing to the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted