1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Least-favorite announcer of college football games

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dan Rydell, Oct 21, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

McDonough's been phoning it in for five years, ever since ESPN (in his opinion) screwed him over by taking him off BCS games.

If he's anything like his dad, he's a resentful bastard. And, yes, he is buried on the Friday night games.

Never read that here. Glad that it's a "legit" reason, not because the guy was a drunkard (as some here speculated at first).

That being said, Ward/Gottfried a couple years ago was brutal -- it was the year they ended up doing most of Penn State's games, so I got to listen practically every. single. week. Mike still was early in his recovery.

Pre-stroke, Franklin/Gottfried on the prime-time game was awesome.

2. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Via Awful Announcing blog...

Bob Griese made reference to Brad Nessler's pink tie. Nessler says "Thank you, it's for breast awareness month.

3. Anyone who's ever been treated to the joy train-wreck that is Jefferson-Pilot Lincoln Financial's SEC game of the week knows this discussion begins and ends with Dave Neal. My God. A three-yard gain is a ninth-inning World Series grand slam.

Actual quote from a broadcast earlier this year:

A group of Auburn fans were holding a sign that read "Lou Holtz for Congress."
    NEAL: "Lou Holtz for Congress... why not the Senate?"

The best? Ron Franklin, hands down.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I thought Pam Ward was the home announcer for Northwestern? ;)

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Mike Gottfried has always been an apologist for the coaches. Raves about the coaching staff even when teams are disorganized messes on the way to losing seasons.

6. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Got to agree with Hammerpants. Ron Franklin is top shelf and Brent Musberger is the pits. I'm lucky since I got to hear Ron Franklin while he was on the air in Big H before leaving to go net. Musberger, I'm unlucky antime I hear him. Bring back the Keith Jackson type.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Holly Rowe doing Penn State game today - God is she hideous.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Petros Papa-something-really-greek and his partner in crime for today's crApple Cup. God, FSN-NW needs help.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Talking about looks or the actual commentating?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Commenting - clueless

Looks - not fair to say but..........given the choice I would prefer Stacy Dales or Erin Andrews

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And they're the top pairing for FSN on the west coast.

Be glad you weren't subjected to Lincoln Kennedy, who joins Juan Roque in the FSN unlistenable Hall of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted