1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

learning to ride a bike

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Oct 19, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Today I will be teaching an adult- a very intelligent, 23-year-old woman- how to ride a bike. She never learned as a child. It happens.

I've no kids and I've never taught anyone of any age how to ride. I'm not quite as nervous about this as my student, but I really do want this event to be brief, successful and painless for her. Any tips from those who have taught this skill?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It's often helpful for adults (or kids) to roll down a very gentle incline to get a sense of how forward momentum stabilizes the bike. Better grass for this than asphalt. And it's easier to let them roll down a slight hill a couple times than to run along beside them in the street or on the sidewalk. So if there's a park handy with a grassy knoll, you can teach them how to ride a bike - while you explain the various conspiracy theories surrounding the Kennedy assassination.

3. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

When I taught our two kids, we went to a big, empty parking lot. I simply jogged along behind them, holding onto the back end of the bike as I'd promised, until they got it steady and under control. I let go and it was several hundred yards before they realized it, and by then everything was cool and off they went.

4. In Exile

In Exile Member

Yes, jgmacg's method totally works, after the parking lot notion and training wheels was a total fail. It's how I taught my daughter to ride year before last - down a grassy hill, first coasting to get a sense of balance, then pedaling. The occasional tumble is soft on the grass. Took two days of only about 45 minutes. Amazing.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Good luck. I never did well with bicycles. I also never had any interest in learning how to ride them.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Watch out for shrubs:

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

In my first neighborhood, we came up with a plan: You taught someone else's kid and someone else taught yours. Takes some patience and you are less likely to lose your shit on someone else's kid. An otherwise fine daddy who was about to go ape on his daughter turned her over to me. Had her riding within the hour. Someone else taught my son.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

All I can say is good luck.

I don't really remember "teaching" my kids to ride bicycles, we had the bikes, we have a huge yard and a very long driveway (remember, I live in the woods) and I probably walked beside them a few times before they took off on their own. I think when they were toddlers they had little, tiny bicycles with training wheels.

This may sound a bit odd, but has she ever ridden a stationary bike? Might be something to have her try to get a feel for the pedaling motion without having to fear falling.

9. I never had anyone teach me. I just got on a bike one day and decided I was going to teach myself. I wound up with quite a few scrapes and bruieses but I eventually learned. It's not that hard once you get the balance. I think going to a grassy area would help alot. The fall would be alot softer.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You might want to go to a secluded area or do this at night, that way she won't feel embarrassed. I'd imagine that's a reason why she hasn't learned yet.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm not in Texas this weekend so I don't know how much luck I'll have in my search for a grassy knoll, but I'll try.

I have found a quiet, secluded parking lot in case I can't find a park. Thanks for the posts!

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted