1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning To Be Zen During The Plague

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OscarMadison, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't think I actually had it ... my entire office would have gotten it if I did. I'm just saying it was a weird sort of bronchitis (apparently) that I had never experienced before. It's natural to think about it when you start hearing of the symptoms of COVID.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't KNOW I had it - I do know I had the worst most lingering cold I could remember in November into December. A persistant cough that lasted for weeks. If that helped me build up immunities - great.
    It's kind of creepy though - I started a temp warehouse gig recently and everyone is gloved and masked up. The pay is better than I ever made in newspapers, the work is physically demanding, it's pretty much a gigantic game of Supermarket Sweep. Also - free work shoes.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Wishing everyone the best. I have to wade into my hopper and see who wants/needs to talk or I'd do the decent thing and send individual well wishes. I apologize for that. In another thread, I mentioned doing volunteer work to help researchers.

Zooniverse.org offers opportunities for everything from transcribing documents to being another pair of eyes for oceanographers and archaeologists. If anyone is interested, there are also remote collaborative projects available through Smithsonian, Yale Drama, and a few other places. I'll be happy to share the links.

Off to distribute woobies...

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It's hard to be zen every day.

5. DanOregon

Finally completed my list of symphonies (with an odd or end or two). Here is the list I listened to/watched. All available on YouTube. Encourage watching the orchestras perform. It adds to the experience.

Beethoven 3 Eroica 1803
    Mozart 41 Jupiter 1788
    Berlioz Simphonie Fantasique 1830
    Brahms 1 1876
    Dvorak 9 New World 1894
    Mahler 9 1912
    Tchaikovsky 6 Pathetique 1893
    Brahms 4 1885
    Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture 1880
    Beethoven 9 1824
    Beethoven Missa Solemnis 1824
    Bruckner 8 1892
    Sibelius 7 1924
    Mahler 2 Resurrection 1894
    Shostakovich 5 1937

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I am now grinding my own flour. Like one does.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You have a creek running through your house? Cool.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. DanOregon

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

OscarMadison and FileNotFound like this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I've been watching a lot of these in my dungeon lately while working.

Timeline - World History Documentaries

A little bit of woo here and there but most of them are very well produced and right on the mark.

OscarMadison and misterbc like this.
  11. DanOregon

Wading into my opera list with Rigoletto. It's really tough. I admire the art of it - the music, singing and staging - I just can't fathom how people connected with the art form if they didn't understand the words (I'm watching an '82 version with Pavarotti and subtitles). Also - the plot lines seem pretty shallow.

On another front - I think while we like to dismiss sports and other friviolities - it really appears our population needs these distractions if only to avoid thinking about how messed up the world can be 24/7.

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

My wife and I finished our 36-lecture course on Introductory Geology (courtesy of The Learning Company) over the weekend. Next up will be "Oceanography 101". Class convenes for Lecture 1 in about an hour...

OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted