1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning To Be Zen During The Plague

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OscarMadison, Mar 17, 2020.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

LOL!

My mother is selectively deaf and regards her hearing aids the way I used to view Dotted Swiss Sunday dresses. Right now she is singing along with Ray Price and flipping through seed catalogs. This was after a lecture about listening to her because she knows. Her calm assurance that she is right is something to behold and to envy. The sesame seeds she mixed with the steel-cut oats after I asked her not to do that? She'd eat them or die trying. Cute little old Southern ladies are not for beginners.

The neighbors probably think I am a scary shrieky lady. Maybe they are warning their children that I will drag them inside and make grits casserole with their brains if they wander too close, a southern-fried Jenny Greenteeth or something.

At any rate, as she would say, I've gotten all that off my chest and go back to being my zen, happy self. Going into week four of plague avoidance and counting...

Batman and FileNotFound like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Curious if anyone is finding themselves not missing something they were really concerned about doing without.

4. OscarMadison

Not things so much as people and experiences.

5. DanOregon

If you are looking for a way to feel like you are contributing to the greater good in all of this - and want to get out of the house - I'd really enourage everyone to donate blood if they can. The drive I donated at a couple days before Trump's Oval address was pretty lightly attended. Plus it will help you kill an hour or so, it amounts to a $300 dollar or so donation to the Red Cross and you get free snacks. Bring a book or something to read though. Helps the time pass.

Upcoming blood drive. Help save lives.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  6. DanOregon

Starting to worry about myself - vacuumed under the bed and dusted today.

One more tip for people stuck inside all day - open up some windows and doors for a good 20-30 minutes to get some fresh air in. Even if it's cold outside, you need to clear out the dead air/stink etc.

EDIT - Now removing wire coil around old calendars so I can recycle them. Had one old calendar hanging in my closet from 2018. From "zen" into madness.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    misterbc and OscarMadison like this.
  7. DanOregon

Today's fun game: SHREDDING PARTY. You have 3 hours before your CIA office is overrun by revolution/you are a GOP operative sweating an indictment.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

PRO TIP: First shred, then burn.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If you’re going to shred, one of those cross cut shredders, which cuts paper into little diamonds, is much better than a straight line shredder.

PaperDoll likes this.
  10. DanOregon

oh yeah, I'm all about that cross-cut shredder.

11. OscarMadison

Shredding is relaxing.

First world problem:
    I ordered a DVD for an online discussion group. It is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
    Friday, it showed up as "out for delivery by 9 pm." At 8:30p, it was back to being scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. This has happened every. Single. Day. since then. Thing is, it's on and off rainy and I have to watch for deliveries, disinfect them, etc. So this morning I check Amazon. Yep. "Out For Delivery."

DAMMIT, UPS! Just bring me DVD or wait until Tuesday.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

So now! This is the art!
    To shred! It's only emotion!
    This is the art!
    To shred! It's only emotion!

Shred!

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted