1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning To Be Zen During The Plague

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OscarMadison, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I usually work from home at least 1-2 days a week and we are lucky enough to have enough space so that we all can retreat to our parts of the house.

I’ve been meditating in the mornings and going for two walks a day (solo and with Mrs. W). I also have an elliptical in the house which I meant to upgrade (it works, but the resistance remains off) but never did so I’ve been working on that to tamp down the stress.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We have places in two east coast cities, one being New York, and I wanted no part of NYC with how I saw this evolving. So we bolted last weekend. Now we are both working from a small apartment, and no gym to go to, which sucks. There is a Trader Joe's a block away, which is good, but I'd much rather be in a less populated place right now. I am petrified of going out, more than any rational person would be, but we went for a long walk last night before dinner.

Being together is working out well, but we like each other, and spending a lot of time together has never been a problem. She's on video conference calls and her phone all day, I am in front of computer monitors the same as I'd be without her here. The only concession I have had to make is that I normally would have a TV on all day making background noise, and I have had to stream it with headphones in my ears because our place is so small and we can't really put enough space between us. But it's working out remarkably well so far, considering that we're sharing only about 750 square feet of space.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Haven't gotten out yet to do it, but hitting golf balls multiple times a week will do wonders for my sanity. If they go straight, that's a bonus too.

Not gonna lie, the home stuff sucks. I have a teenage daughter who can't see her boyfriend and is plenty moody about that (understandable), and a first-grader who is ... well, a first-grader. My wife and I have to alternate being parents in between work calls and trying to write. I am making peace with the fact that my best work time will be after 9 p.m. every night, which sucks but on the other hand it's not like I'm going to miss a ballgame on TV.

exmediahack and OscarMadison like this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A lot of others have said this, but that is the toughest part of this for me. I am working all day, it's really not all that different than normal, although the work itself has been crazier because of this. It's that normally, I'd be diving into hockey games at night and getting all antsy for baseball right now, and without that, I am not interested in TV. Watching CNN is depressing. I could really use pro sports as an escape right now. We have been watching half an episode each night of the Ken Burns' Baseball episodes that PBS is streaming. And then we get into bed, read a bit, and fall asleep.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have no problem watching some of the random replays they're showing on the various cable channels. Odds are I have no idea who won. Has anyone yet replayed the US Hockey team's 1980 run? Start with some of the exhibitions. They played five or six games in Lake Placid right.
    As a kid I went to a Raiders game against the Cowboys that featured - I'm not kidding here - at least 20 Hall of Famers in the stadium (owners, broadcasters) or on the field that night. Pretty sure the Raiders won, wouldn't mind seeing that game.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Been working from home. My wife set up this little workstation for me in a corner of our bedroom that's kinda like a nook, where I can look out the window over my laptop. She was really proud of how it looked.

After work, been going for walks around the neighborhood, hanging with the family, and watching some of the WWE Network specials when I normally would be watching a sporting event.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought this was a pretty good video about working from home, something most of us will be experiencing soon if we aren't already.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. DanOregon

If nothing else comes out of this thing - I gave the kitchen, the refrigerator, the stove and the microwave a good scrub.

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

With all the eating from home and considerable snacking by the entire family, the dishwasher practically has flames coming out of it.

10. DanOregon

Scrubbing the undercarriage of the stove I kept feeling like Gus Fring was standing next to me asking me if he thinks it looks clean to me.

exmediahack and OscarMadison like this.
  11. DanOregon

12. DanOregon

Just got a notice replying to a comment I made on a YouTube video of a flash mob in Nuremberg singing and playing Ode to Joy from 2014. The comment I made was "Need this now more than ever"
    The reply:
    "Dan Oregon sing with us 22.03 six o clock ( in Germany) . We start! Do it together, helps us together."

Started to get a little dusty in here.

Draft saved Draft deleted