1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning Spanish

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SnoopyBoy, Feb 10, 2010.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to learn Spanish for my job. Anyone have any advice on best way to learn the language? Anyone tried Rosetta Stone?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've used Rosetta stone for French. It's fantastic to get you started, but once you become intermediate to advanced you'll need something better.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Best way to learn any language is to immerse yourself in it. Find the Spanish language stations and put them on for several hours at a time. In addition to any studying you may do with Rosetta Stone or classes or anything of the sort, hearing the language will help you with speaking it.

¡El español no es muy difícil para aprender!

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That.

Even with Rosetta Stone, expose yourself to as much as you can. It won't help you magically wake up and learn the language, but it will improve your pronunciation and listening skills in the long run.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

4 semesters of spanish in college and i still needed babel fish to make sure i understood that.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

The most important Spanish phrase you will need to know:

Donde esta el casa de bano?

This usually comes into play after repeatedly saying:

Yo quiero una mas cerveza frio, por favor.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I can direct you to the taco truck that serves the world's best al pastor.
    It is in the middle of nowhere, but it always has a crowd. That's how you know it's good.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's "¿Donde está el cuarto de baño?" Cuarto is the Spanish word for "room". And the word to indicate that it's the bathroom you want needs to have the n with the tilde over it or you're using a non-word that makes absolutely no sense.

This usually comes into play after repeatedly saying:

"Yo quiero una más cerveza frío, por favor."[/quote]

Fixed for accuracy.

I took about four or five semesters of college Spanish, but my dad's side of the family comes from Cuba. Even when I had no interest in learning Spanish, I *heard* it being used most of my life. By the time I finally took an interest in learning Spanish, I had a head start.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Agreed. Diversifying your approach to language learning will make it richer and keep you from getting bored with any one part of it.

Folks might also want to take a look at this. The Guardian has something of a sampler platter (audio and text) of foreign languages, including Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Arabic, etc.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/series/language-phrasebooks

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

First couple of minutes.

http://crazymotion.net/eddie-murphy-delirious-7-of-7/wbRa-qvz1kCIjAy.html

Draft saved Draft deleted