1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning Spanish?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You forgot the umlaut on funf, dummkopf! :)

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Waylon, it not tough to learn. I would recommend you giving it a shot.

3. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

After watching a high school soccer coach speak to his team in Spanish during a match, I had the same interest. But why learn that language when we're all going to be speaking Arabic when Obama is elected? ;-)

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I took two years of high school Spanish and two or three years of college Spanish. Of course, I had additional motivation to do so: My dad's side of the family is Cuban.

Then again, I haven't had as much occasion to use my Spanish lately as I would like. Thus, if I'm in a reporting situation, I fall back on English. Some of the interns I've had working for me have been able to conduct interviews in Spanish.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I use "entrevista" way too much when talking in Spanish.

Also the saying, "Mi Casa et Tu Casa"...used it most recently on a Christmas card. It is an inside joke ;D ::)

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

I took two years of Spanish in high school and a couple of semesters in college.

I met my wife, who lived in Mexico and was visiting her sister in the US, in 1993. I went down to visit her over a Columbus Day weekend and spent four days down there. I learned more in four days than I did in all that time in school.

I also went to France in 1990. I got a guide book with phrases, and before I went out to visit museums, I would try to learn a couple of phrases.

The problem is that the school and guidebooks don't help you would when the responses come back at 90 miles per hour. The other problem is that once there are a couple of words you don't understand, it is like getting lost and hard to find your way back.

My wife's best subject in her school time in Mexico was English - she wanted to learn as a 10 to 12 year old because of rock songs in English and TV shows like the Brady Bunch and the Partridge Family. She would also know Moody Blues songs and I thought she knew a lot more English than she actually did.

Shortly after we were married, we were in a store and saw a sign that said Clearance for a sale. She pronounced it "CLEAR - EN - SEE". I had to turn away so I wouldn't crack up, but it is still funny when I think about it and we laugh about it. Yet, when you think of it, that would be exactly the way you pronounce it what you think of it.

Unless you are going to make a committment to learning it and spend a lot of time and go somewhere for more than a month, it isn't likely to work beyond being able to order food in a restaurant or giving basic greetings. I can carry on a conversation with my wife's parents, and it is easier face-to-face compared to the telephone. But it is difficult sometimes to find the right word and I generally can't tell funny stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted