1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning Spanish?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Seems that every news job in particular I see posted these days at places like journalismjobs.com urges bilingual candidates. Understandable in urban areas today, obviously.

How tough is it to learn? I'm thinking about giving it a go - in today's market, it probably pays to grab every advantage you can. Seems like baseball writers should be plowing that path, as well, though I'm not sure how many do know it. Probably education and urban issues beat people, as well.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Buena suerte.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Я желаю Вам удачу

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Studied Spanish for four years in high school. Did pretty well at it, too. Even now I can still hold my own writing and speaking it.

[stephena]HOWEVAH[/stephena]

When I got to college I took the test to see whether or not I could test-through the class and get credit. The second they hit the button on the tape and asked me to transcribe what it said I knew there was no way I would EVER be fluent.

There's a HUUUUUGE difference between knowing the words and being able to speak the language in anything other than a "please can you slow down ... alot" manner.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Exactly. The Russian I am involved with is an English teacher. She can match me in speed when it comes to typing in English. But when we speak, she almost always asks me to slow down.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

If she looks anything like the girl on your profile, she's worth it, broken English or not...

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I took three years of German in high school and two semesters of Russian in college.
    Once we got past the introductory words and phrases phase and started conjugating the 43 different kinds of verbs I was lost. At one point I was kind of proud that I could count to 10 in five different languages. Now I'm down to three or four.
    Best German phrase I remember:
    "Dein mutte ist eine imbisstube"

And I can almost count to 10 in Russian. Almost.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Same as me, plus one in college. College class was a total joke, everything was open dictionary, guaranteed to learn nothing. Not that not knowing German has hurt me.

MY most remembered phrase is:

Ich habe eine verapredung (I have an appointment.)

I'd love to learn Spanish but have misfired on several attempts to start.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Took two years of Spanish in high school, and three years of German in college. Should've swapped 'em. Learned more German than I need, learned less Spanish than I want. Don't remember much of either anymore.

But hey, I can still count to 10: ein, zwei, drei, vier, funf, sechs, sieben, acht, neun, zehn. :D

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Should've put in a translation for "Dein mutte ist eine imbisstube". It means, "Your mother is a snack bar."
    That got huge chuckles from the 10th grade German II class, and might still be a useful putdown.

One thing I DO remember from all that German is how to count. I think I could go to a thousand.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Best part of German class -- well, aside from the hot German T.A. -- was watching "Lola Rennt" and being introduced to Franka Potente years before the Bourne movies came out. One of my favorite foreign-language movies. Word of advice: Don't watch the one with English voiceovers. It's awful.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I've made several half-hearted attempts to learn Spanish since I started in this biz (wisely, I took Latin in high school). Now I can muddle through a few very basic introductory/I write for the newspaper/please find me someone who speaks English phrases. But that's about it
    I don't think I'll ever be even conversational unless I can somehow spend a significant amount of time surrounded by other Spanish speakers. That's how pretty much every Anglo I know who can actually carry on a conversation in Spanish learned. You just don't absorb it taking one community college class a week.
    But somehow I don't think a three-month sabbatical to Mexico is in the cards any time soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted