1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning guitar

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Aug 11, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

2. Scouter

Scouter Member

BBAM's list of fails:

-- Cutting onions.
    -- Convincing people that soccer is great.

Soon to be added: Learning to play guitar. :p

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree.

BBAM, I always wanted to learn so I finally took my first lesson at age 39 nine years ago. And I stuck with it. Took lessons for about seven years total and it's one of the best things I've ever decided to do. In fact, I think I'm going to put this computer down now and pick up my Martin DC-15E Mahogony Top Dreadnought and play a few Harry Chapin songs. Check in with a music store near you. You can either sign up for lessons or find a good book to get started.

4. KG

KG Active Member

These are cool for strengthening your fingers when you have a minute or two here and there.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gripmaster-Exercise-Tool?sku=429070&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=2179950

You can also get these caps for them that are for helping to build caluses.

When you are first learning, expect your fingers to get really sore, but as soon as you develop a bit of callus, it will only hurt when you play for a really long stretch at a time.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

That might be one of the best burns i've seen on here.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I learned basically through tabs. :-[

But hey, it was easy and quite frankly a lot more fun than books or lessons (which I had as a youngster).

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

If we cross paths ... so help me God ...

8. Grimace

Grimace Guest

If you can the change the channel without looking down at your remote, you can play guitar. Same with typing. It's the same concept.

Think of it this way: What is the average IQ of those hair metal idiots who can play guitar? If they can do it, you can.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Hell, I can program the tv without looking at the remote.

10. Scouter

Scouter Member

That would imply that his IQ is higher than those hair metal idiots. ZING!

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

You're on BLAST!

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted