1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Learn new technologies, new communication platforms."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Charlie Brown, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Advice from another thread. So, if you're out of work and don't have the money to go back to school, what is the best way to learn these new technologies? If this is already answered on other threads, I apologize. I suspect there are many like me who would teach themselves what they can if they knew where to look. There are so many scams and sites out there that just want to attach themselves to your hard drive. I have no idea who to trust.

Does anyone have good practical advice on how to learn all of this new stuff if you don't have money to go to school and don't want to regret clicking on some site that make big promises?

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I started this one a while back:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/66832/

3. Good topic. I've actually been meaning to start a similar thread. I'm fresh out of school but never had the chance to take a design class or web programming or anything like that, and I've never used Final Cut or Adobe or any related programs. About the extent of my technological skills is Microsoft Office and some use of InDesign as the assistant SE at my school's paper. Many of the ads I see posted for reporter jobs also require previous layout/design experience, QuarkXpress, web publishing, etc. So how do I attain these skills without paying a boatload of money?

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I wouldn't waste your time learning these things. Better off getting in a new field entirely if you are going to take time to go to school. These things will not last. Nobody reads/views these massive internet projects and the suits will figure that out before too long.

Draft saved Draft deleted