1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lean Dean (the tropical version)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Absolutely yes, Dallas exceeded its yearly average rain total all the way back in June... but I'm amazed at how much nearly 2 weeks of 100º have dried things out. The lakes are dropping at a half-foot a day and are already just about at pool elevation. The exception is Lake Texoma, which gets 95% of its water from the Panhandle and is still 15 feet high.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You think with all this technology pinpointing probable paths for this storm, some agency would issue a preliminary warning for those in the gulf coast region to have their bags packed just in case?

3. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Call me naive or dense, but I don't get it.

4. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Me neither, my friend. Me neither.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

NoOneLikesUs,

Do you mean other than the National Weather Service, or the National Hurricane Center, which has done so for decades?

Some people take notice of the warnings. Some don't.

6. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

To all y'all who might be in the path of Dean:

Batten down the hatches and hunker down when the time comes.

Sincerely,

Platy

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The current forecast has it reaching the Yucatan next Tuesday. It's going to be almost a week before that storm could get to the Gulf Coast, if it gets there at all. My guess is they won't issue one until after it's crosssed the Yucatan or shot the gap between Cuba and the Yucatan.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Not to needlessly scare the shit out of everyone, but: http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/gfdltc2.cgi?time=2007081612-dean04l&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=Animation

Hit the button on the right that says "L (21)"; that tells you what the model thinks the storm will look like by the end of the forecast period, which I believe is a week from now.

9. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

You're fear-mongering. Jesus. That's like taking dead aim on my new hometown. Of course, I knew that when I moved here. Not hearing much talk out and about about Dean, but there's some in the newsroom here getting scared/excited/worried/etc.

Me? I'm just glad I live on the second floor in an area that didn't flood in 2005. Keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to deal with any of that.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Parts of Houston have received 9 inches of rain today and San Antonio has seen 7 inches. They just put up severe weather alerts for our area calling for intense rain through Saturday morning. Apparently, they are worried Erin will stall over West Texas and just dump on us.
    Hopefully not.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I've been in a few floods in Houston. Scary stuff if you're trying to drive in low-lying areas. What happened with Allison was horrific for some people. Here's hoping Erin gets bored and moves on quickly, spreading around whatever is left in a harmless way.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's not moving very fast at all. It is sitting just northwest of San Antonio and bearing down on San Angelo.

Draft saved Draft deleted