1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lean Dean (the tropical version)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Re: Lean Dean (the tropical version) & Erin Go Bragh-less

Official forecast has a Cat 4 Dean making a beeline towards Cancun/Cozumel in five days. That would be the third Cat 4 to hit that area in two years (Emily and Wilma in 2005). But they seem to persevere.

One computer model wants to shoot Dean through the Yucatan Channel or the western tip of Cuba and northwestward. For the sake of Louisianians and those of us who like the way gas prices are dropping, here's hoping that if it hits land, it does so in one of those areas nobody lives, like Hurricane Bret back in the 90's.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fete's over, SoTex.

Bragh-less storm system indeed. ::)

Back to first hedline.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of the GFDL* model, in blue below:

[​IMG]

* Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's the outlier right now. The GFDL seems to want to build a mid-level low in the GOM that would pull it further north, while pretty much all the other models don't see it. If some of the others, like the UKMET or BAMM, follow suit, then you get really worried.

[​IMG]
    http://www.boatus.com/HURRICANES/hurricane_spaghetti.asp

5. Football_Bat

Word up, mon frère.

The Orange Line is an expressway to my front window, which won't be as bad since I'm well inland. But I don't want this times two:

[​IMG]

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The pink line running all the way to the Red River would run right down my road.

7. Football_Bat

Not a big fan of the pink line, huh? ;) :D

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of any line, to be clear. I hope every hurricane dissipates in the water before ever making landfall, but ...

The GFDL model concerns me because it puts New Orleans on the east side, the bad side, of the hurricane before, during and after landfall. The man-made problems of Katrina aside, Katrina came ashore to the east of New Orleans -- which is why Mississippi was hit so hard.

This could be bad news for New Orleans if the blue line proves true.

I hope my friends in front of the pink and orange lines are spared too. :)

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You guys are all welcome to evac to the palatial Hooterville estate... no rain falls here... ever.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Here's hoping it fizzles out before it makes land, JD.

11. Football_Bat

Actually, the orange would REALLY suck for H-Town because it keeps the eye over open water mostly and shooting the Yucatan Gap as a likely F4. That leaves Houston and Galveston on the NW quadrant facing possible winds of 130+ mph.

My happy ass in extreme Far North Dallas would be glad for the rain, but I hope it's far weaker than that.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hasn't Dallas gotten enough rain this summer? I know we have. I read somewhere that Texas is no longer in a drought for the first time in a decade because of the storms this summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted