1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lean Dean the Second

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 14, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

But it won't happen at MediaNews, because it will be the next chain to be Knight-Riddered into the history books.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

No it won't. This couldn't be further from the reality.
    Knight Ridder had assests. Everything MediaNews holds is leveraged.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody know if the current credit crunch on Wall Street is causing lenders to put a squeeze on Singleton? I know we're talking consumer credit and home loans, but I figure a lot of this stuff in interrelated.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

MediaNews' credit rating was downgraded a couple weeks back. It's just above junk status.
    And, that's stated minus the hyperbole.

5. lono

lono Active Member

Yes their credit rating is in the dumper.

http://www.minnpost.com/davidbrauer/2008/03/07/1101/pipress_parents_credit_crunch_worsens

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2008/02/25/daily62.html

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

At first. I snickered at Lean Dean's credit falling like an anvil in a septic tank.

But the workers are the ones who will suffer, not that slimeball.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

From AngryJournalist.com:

Angry Journalist #2319:

I’m angry because freelancers are on my ass to get them their checks and I can’t even tell them they’ll probably never get them. Hell, my paycheck just bounced. We’re all screwed, people. They may be out $50 but there goes my house and car.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That's absolutely depressing. How in the hell does Singleton live with himself?

9. joe

joe Active Member

How long before -- seriously -- the next workplace shooting we cover happens at one of these papers? Not necessarily a Singleton paper, but any of the ones being gutted. I get the feeling that, with most newspaper folks' general level of education, etc., we feel we're sort of immune to something like this. But people are being pushed to the breaking point, and desperation is a powerful motivator. And revenge starts to look like a viable option; I mean, what the fuck, your career is shit, what else do you have to lose?

Things are bad, but I think they're going to get much worse before they get better. If they ever do get better. It's a sad, sad time.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If checks are really bouncing, joe, not long. That's horrible. And I can almost hear the snark from some corporate jackass, happy that the reporter who covered his own workplace's shooting didn't have to turn in mileage.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Are checks really not coming?

The question has been asked before as far as "when will this turn into a workplace shooting?" And every day, it becomes more likely.

Of course, I'm not sure a newspaper employee can afford to buy a gun.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If the first page of this thread is to be taken into account, buckweaver may be able to tell us at the end of the week.

Draft saved Draft deleted