1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lean Dean the Second

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 14, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Paulo better cash those checks for accrued vacation and his "buyout" immediately.

2. Thank God newspaper folk make so much money they don't have to live paycheck to paycheck

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Unbelievable.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What is Singleton doing? Is he getting bank loans, borrowing against the value of the newspapers? Is he going to flip them back onto the market after he's done slashing payroll and personnel?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That would be a matter for a highly-paid investigative journalist.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You know, there is something to be said for this as a possible story idea...

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Methinks it won't be appearing in any publication from the LA Newspaper Group.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Singleton's empire has always been a house of cards. I don't know if his business plan had the idea that newspapers would someday rebound and he'd be able to pay off all of his debt or the idea that by loading up on debt and leveraging the assets bought on credit, if the thing went to crap it wouldn't be his problem. You know the saying. If I owe you $1,000 its my problem. If I owe you $1 million, its your problem.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't someone fire Singleton and make him interview for his job again?

10. lono

lono Active Member

I do a lot of free-lance writing. I will no longer accept assignments without a clause stipulating that I get paid within 30 days after acceptance of a story.

Way too many people in this biz who think the best way to solve their cash-flow problem is to make it your cash-flow problem.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, that DOES work. Unfortunately.

Ain't that how Wimpy got all his hamburgers?

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

I'll gladly pay you whenever the hell I please for your hard work now.

Draft saved Draft deleted