1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lean Dean the Party Animal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chigurdaddy, Aug 19, 2008.

1. chigurdaddy

chigurdaddy Guest

It's costing El Dino $1.5 million to host a Democratic Convention party in Denver, LA Observed reports. MF owes a billion, has laid off enough to fill Invesco, and he's tossing money around like it's no object.
    Nice, Lean Dean...

http://www.laobserved.com/biz/2008/08/post_169.php

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't think all the big media players won't host shindigs in Denver and St. Paul. We'll find out how great these parties are, and hear about all the big names in attendance, and yet the local scrubs will be reminded about not accepting gifts or food from a source in an ethics memo from the editor. Hilarious.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Not to totally jack this thread, but I cringed when I picked up my local morning paper today and saw the top of the column they always run on the front page:

Should I let them know all about the source of that "good quote"?

4. DanOregon

In Dean's defense, the Strib did back out of hosting the convention media party in St. Paul.
    Amazing thing these conventions, it takes so many news people to travel to the conventions to complain that there is no news at the conventions.

5. one could argue that it's as much of a waste as sending someone to the super bowl.

6. DanOregon

If you're talking Super Bowl week, I agree. Most reporters don't need to be there any earlier than any other playoff game, unless you've got a home town team involved.
    I'd say the conventions are more like baseball's spring training, a way for the team to generate some publicity before the season really begins.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Is there a media party in St. Paul? Is the Singleton-owned Pioneer Press sponsoring it?

8. MileHigh

Also, I found out today, the Rocky/Scripps also chipped in $1.5 million. I'll find out in a few hours if it was all worth it.

9. DanOregon

10. MileHigh

Well, it was a hell of a show, I must say. The Post and the RMN were the main sponsors, but there were others as well. No way that thing "only" cost $3 million.

Supposedly, there were 10,000 tickets doled out, but people brought in kids, even though it was explicitly said no kids. But there were only a few here and there.

There was food everywhere. There was catered food and most of the food stands were open. There was (good) beer, wine and hard alcohol everywhere. Soda and water everywhere. There were volunteers everywhere, willing to help with anything. All free.

One of them mentioned all of the rides and games that were available -- for free. And the games were "more generous," she said. I walked out of there with five stuffed animals for my niece and nephews. Rides that usually cost extra money to ride, including $20 for the sling shot, were free. The lines were manageable. I've never just walked onto the Twister (the wooden roller coaster).

There was a parade of Native American dancers at the beginning and they put on a show. A concert. Alas, no cattle drive.

It was funny to see some people dressed. Men in slacks and sports coats. Women in skirts. One of the early jokes in my group was: You can tell which women aren't from Colorado. They're wearing heels.

At the end, there was a 10-minute fireworks show that ranked right up there with anything the Rockies or Rapids put on on Fourth of July. There were four different spots where they shot off the fireworks, so you didn't miss anything. The rides stopped as the fireworks went off and the entire park was clapping, hooting and hollering at the end of the show.

At the end, as I was walking out with my friends, I asked one (who's in the business) if it was worth it. We all were impressed with everything. It was very, very well done. Granted, you say "media" and "free" that's a great start. The fireworks rocked. If you weren't impressed, then you're probably a lost cause. But was it worth the money to put on considering these tough times in the media? Maybe, I guess, was the conclusion.

Unless there are buyouts and layoffs announced next week.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Thanks for the update, MH. As for your question here, I've got a few thoughts:

-- I'm glad you had fun; I'm sure you deserved a fun night. This party would be going on even if you weren't there, so I'm glad you were able to partake. I would have done the same.

-- I'm also glad these questions were crossing the minds of those in attendance.

-- I'm sure it was not crossing Singleton's mind, which is a problem.

-- I'm really disgusted with this kind of show being put on when newspapers have cut 8,118+ jobs in 237 days. That's an average of 34 people who lose their jobs each day. Thirty-four families who aren't eating free food or enjoying fireworks or visiting amusement parks. That also doesn't account for non-newspaper media groups who have made cuts.

-- This wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't a media company hosting the media party.

Draft saved Draft deleted