1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lean Dean firesale starts: Small step for Connecticut, giant leap for mankind?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Aug 9, 2008.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I wonder if this is just something for the Conn Post or if this is something that might have throughout MNG.

2. as much as most of us would agree that leaving mng is, for the most part, an upgrade, i don't know how much of an "upgrade" it is in this market. hearst is facing the same challenges everyone else is.

surprised that pittsfield wasn't thrown into this deal, too, since its coverage area touches danbury's (at the ct-mass border) and albany's (and albany is owned by hearst).

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Interesting take here:

http://www.minnpost.com/davidbrauer/

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I don't know that this is exactly good news. Hearst has been bailing out Singleton for years and now Hearst is getting newspapers it doesn't want. At least Singleton wanted his papers to turn a nice profit so he could pay off his creditors. Hearst will probably look at these acquisitions as little more than tax write-offs and cut them even more to minimize losses. It's not a time for dancing on desks. Hearst has more reason to make cuts than Singleton did.

Draft saved Draft deleted