1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leagues/officials issuing apologies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 12, 2009.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

BBAM apologized for a blown call in a youth soccer match a few weeks ago. Then realized he made the correct call and retracted the apology.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think it is any more comforting when the league does apologize. They still got it wrong and in most cases when they bother to apologize, your team lost and that isn't going to be reversed.

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Uncle Ted should apologize for the latest abortion he put out on CD....give up the microphone Deadly Tedly. Stick to the Byrdland and the PRS.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Is the team mascot named Gonzo?

Be careful though for the when in doubt, I whip it out sequence.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I think if leagues are going to fine coaches and players for criticizing officials, then they should acknowledge when a blown call influences the outcome of a game.
    Case in point: Atlanta's loss Tuesday night because of a blown call at third in the ninth against the Mets. Runner was clearly out on a steal, but called safe. The game should have ended with a 3-2 victory for the Braves but instead the tying run scores on a guy who should not have been on base and then all hell breaks loose 10th. (Yes, fan rant that if posted last night would have been full of profanity!)
    Replays show the call wasn't even close to being right, and it wasn't even a bang-bang play. That blown call changed the ultimate outcome of the contest and should be acknowledged by the league. It doesn't change the standings, but it at least doesn't hide that the umpire fucked over a team because of his incompetence.

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

It could end up a free for all, dog eat dog so to speak.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The NBA admitted Derek Fisher should have been called for a foul on Brent Barry at the end of Game 4 of last year's Western Conference Finals, leading to this response from Barry:

That's awesome," Barry said, "because Doc Brown is waiting for me outside, and we're going to get in the DeLorean and fire up the flux capacitor and we're going to go back and shoot a couple of free throws."

Draft saved Draft deleted