1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

League - Barry was fouled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dargan, May 28, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Barry was dribbling the ball about to take the last shot of regulation, and a Laker jumped into him. Not a glancing foul either. Because of the defender's contact he could attempt a final shot.

It was foul. Not a hard call.

Barry makes two, and then the Spurs probably would have blown it in OT.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who cares? the nba sucks monkey balls anyway.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

solid.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

only because it's true. :D

5. ondeadline

You'll get no argument from me!

6. Frylock

Frylock Member

There's no doubt it was a foul.
    I believe the NBA announced it after the fact to:
    A. Appease (to a degree) the Spurs and their fans
    B. Make it known so that -- as dumb as it might sound -- players don't start jumping on shooters on last-second shots and expect no whistle

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sorry, DD, but Fisher jumped into Barry on this one. He did not go straight up by any stretch of the imagination and he made strong contact. That's a foul in any rule book except Joey Crawford's "Last-two-seconds" rulebook.

8. ondeadline

If the association made the Hawks and the Heat replay the end of a meaningless regular-season game because of an error, why not do that for a playoff game that means a heck of a lot more?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Because they didn't make the Cavs and Spurs do it in last year's NBA finals for essentially the same play?

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If the Spurs played well enough it wouldn't have come down to that last shot. If they didn't choke away that last half tonight, they'd be playing on Saturday too. And I root for the Spurs. But tough shit. Not all the calls go your way, and that late in the game, you can't count on getting them.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Now, will the NBA apologize to all of Central Indiana for the phantom foul on Larry Johnson's four-point play in 1994? Or admit Patrick Ewing traveled when he took 26 steps down the lane to score the winning basket in Game 7?

Or would that be the official not wanting to influence the outcome of the game (and make sure the ratings hell that would have been a Pacers-Rockets final didn't happen).

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Gregg Popovich disagrees. He was quoted as saying that if he were reffing, he wouldn't have called it a foul.

However, I'm of the school that you make the same calls in the 47th minute of an NBA game that you make in the first minute. And if I were the supervising official, that's exactly what I'd tell Joey Crawford.

If this game isn't an argument to get rid of Sternie boy, I have no idea what would be.

Draft saved Draft deleted