1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

League - Barry was fouled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dargan, May 28, 2008.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Barry didn't jump into the defender. If he had, he probably would have gotten the foul call. He tried to take a dribble around Fisher to get clear for the jumper, and Fisher landed on him and impeded his progress. Clearly a foul.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

So, in other words ... you're not getting the call unless you flop. But the NBA doesn't want people to flop and is putting in a rule against it.

So what, exactly, should a shooter do?

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I guess I do not understand why the NBA made this statement yet made no comment on the "airball" by Fisher? How 3 refs missed that call in that situation is amazing to me.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Agreed. I'm a huge Jordan fan, but that was inexcusable.

5. rube

rube Active Member

None of it holds a candle to the '88 Finals when Isiah Thomas was tackled to the floor during a desperation 3-pointer that would've tied the game. Not only that, but the Laker fans had prematurely rushed the court a handful of seconds early as well.

But if I'm the ref in that situation -- I don't make that call either. I get the hell out of dodge.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It was a foul. No questions asked. It stopped Barry from making any type of offensive move in the last seconds of the game.

How many people on this board have ever blown a whistle?

I have for a few sports, including basketball.

You know how a pro player will miss a layup or a dunk that seems so easy? Well sometimes refs miss the easy dunks as well. Blowing a whistle is a mental and physical act, and sometimes you just screw up.

They screwed up.

Also, when you ref game, it's like playing a game.

I scored 14 points in my rec game's first half the other night. I was on fire and playing out of my head.

That happens as a ref, too. You will have a game that you know you nailed every call. You hear very little, if any, legit complaining from the players or bench or fans. You know the game is going smoothly and every call is like swishing a three.

Then you play games when nothing is falling. You are forcing shots or they are just rimming out. You have no confidence in your passing or dribbling and you just want to get off the floor.

Guess what? Refs have those games, too. Every whistle seems to be a tough 50/50 play that you are never 100 percent sure about. You are always just a half step behind the play or your eyes just miss a cheap shot and the crowd goes nuts.

Sometimes it is not a hidden motive. Sometimes it's just a bad game.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If Barry doesn't take that dribble, I promise that a foul gets called.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Exactly. There was no shooting foul there and the refs (in hindsight wrongly) thought that the initial contact didn't impede Barry.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'd say the refs thought the contact didn't impede Barry enough. Which is why they shouldn't call the game differently at the end. If that play happens at any other point of the game, the ref calls a foul without having to even think about it. But because it's at the buzzer, he takes that one more split second to judge the severity of the foul, and that's what screws everything up. People talk about how refs shouldn't decide games, but if that call had been made, the ref wouldn't have decided the game. Fisher would have decided it by biting on a pump fake. Or Barry would have decided it by making (or missing) the free throws.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Come on, Rube, you've been reading Simmons too much. He's mentioned that Game 7 four or five times over the years. Check out the video. Yes, they should have kept the crowd off the court and cleared it before continuing (just as they should have done in Game 7 of the 84 Finals when the Celtics fans mobbed the court before the clock was out. Yeah, the Lakers were down more than 3 and didn't have a prayer, but the game wasn't technically over and as we've said here, you should call the game the same way no matter how much time is left).

But, the big thing is the alleged "foul" on Isiah. I really don't see the mugging. Magic steps aside, Isiah - playing with a badly injured ankle - falls down. There's never been a better angle shown of the play, but from the regular view, it does not look like a foul. Plus, even if there was a foul, it would not have been in the act so he would have had to do the old make one, miss one, get the rebound and tie it. And even if the refs had called it in the act, which would have been a terrible call, I'm pretty sure the NBA didn't have the three free throws rule in effect back then for fouls on 3-pointers (I think that was added in the 90s).

Plus...Laimbeer steps over the line while making the pass to Isiah at the end. His right foot goes right over as he's heaving it downcourt. Violation.

Go to about the 3:20 mark for the end of the game (Stockton, though, is guilty of crowning the Lakers with 3 seconds left when the Pistons could have still tied it).

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I hear you, but there are a lot of refs who don't make that call in the second quarter if there are 20 seconds to go on the shot clock.

12. rube

rube Active Member

Seriously? The crowd AND the Lakers are on the damn court BEFORE Laimbeer even commits an "inbound violation." And while you're right, Thomas doesn't get mugged -- though it wasn't completely clean (not saying anything should've been called) -- the BAND WAS ON THE FIELD pretty much.

At the same time, it'd take an iron-balled official to even try and blow a whistle on any of it.

On the topic at hand, that's another very difficult call to make -- I thought he was fouled, but like someone said before, he pretty much ran himself right into it with the dribble.
    My problem with the whole thing is -- your best shot at the buzzer is finding Brent Barry 30 feet away from the basket? Come on. Lakers win deservedly so, and pretty much punch their ticket.

Draft saved Draft deleted