1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

League - Barry was fouled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dargan, May 28, 2008.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

Interesting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3416412

I'm not a conspiracy theorist as many people who keep up with the NBA are, but the fact that Joey Crawford was the ref in position to make the call doesn't help the league deflect those accusations at all.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have no rooting interest in either team, but that call was ridiculous.

Barry was clearly fouled and the only reason the foul wasn't called is because the refs don't want to change the outcome of the game. Well, maybe the refs wouldn't change the game if they didn't start changing the way the fouls are called in the waning moments of the game.

What's a foul in minute one should be a foul in minute 59. Now I'm not sure about the continuation rules in the NBA, so I don't know if Barry should have gone to the line, but either way, the Spurs should have at least taken the ball out on the foul- unless they were in the bonus.

Anyway, back to the main point, the first thing refs learn, even on the lowest level, is, never let the time in the game dictate the way you call a play. Argghhh. Stupid NBA.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Well the Spurs did get the break on the shot clock not being reset. If it is, the Lakers most likely inbound the ball to Kobe who sinks two free throws for a four-point lead instead of a desperation shot that let the Spurs stay in a one-possession game.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

I believe they were in the bonus, so a high-percentage FT shooter would have stepped to the line with a chance to take his team to overtime.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

I doubt Phil Jackson would react in the manner Popovich has regarding the no-call.

Barry's been pretty classy about it, too. He's absolutely right when he says the game wasn't lost there.

6. JakeandElwood

That's right, it said in the story it should have been a two-shot foul.

7. JakeandElwood

I couldn't agree more. The Spurs missed so many open perimeter shots down the stretch.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah you can always have that mentality. If they had played out of their minds they may have been up 15 points and it wouldn't have mattered. In any case, its over. Lakers win in 6.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'm not sure why the league felt the need to comment on this at all. It's not the first time a big game was decided by a questionable call. I wonder if Stern was trying to stick it to Joey Crawford a little more.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Wasn't the call a no-brainer anyway? I was shocked when I saw the replay and that wasn't called. That's a foul every single time.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be a Bonds thread.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm not an NBA guy at all. But I found some of the talk I heard today hilarious. People saying that Barry should have "sold it." Is this basketball or acting? I guess if something like this happens, you shouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of flopping an embellishing.

The fact that Crawford is allowed to work any Spurs playoff games is stunning.

Draft saved Draft deleted