1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leading Ebola doctor dies of ... Ebola

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/01/donald-trump-panics-demands-americans-with-ebola-be-denied-treatment-in-us/

Donald Trump's take: Just let the damn do gooders die!

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Take my ebola, please!

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone has tried to use Ebola by infecting someone and sending them to any metropolitan area.
    It's really that simple.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Fantastic, AQB.

More seriously, maybe it's insensitive of me, but should we be going through with this Africa summit in light of the outbreak? I know it's unlikely that anyone would spread the disease here, but given the circumstances, wouldn't it make sense to postpone until after the outbreak? Every infected country is sending representatives, and those countries are supposed to be under quarantine. I know they're taking drastic preventative measures to ensure they don't bring the infection over, but I don't think you can take too many precautions when dealing with Ebola. Why bother taking any risks during an outbreak like this?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not sure it should be cancelled but normally in a disaster situation like this heads of state will cancel foreign trips so they can stay home and focus on whatever the problem might be. It's just a PR move but it's odd it's not happening with this summit.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Couple of things I've seen. First, the UN is advising people in West Africa to stay away from fruit bats, which apparently play a key role in the spread of the ebola virus. People there eat the bats dried or in soup.

Second, a discussion on my facebook feed centered on whether they should be treated here, weighing access of high-level care against potentially spreading the disease here.

Personally, I'd have felt better about treating them in the U.S. if they hadn't chosen to do so at a hospital in a major metropolitan area, but I guess you go where the resources are.

Maybe we'll know in the next few days whether we're in the first 100 pages of The Stand.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Again, the most effective ways Ebola spreads are:

-- Among people who bury their own infected dead.
    -- Among healthcare workers who take little to no precautions.

There is NO chance, NONE, that it will cause widespread Captain Trips-style outbreaks here.

9. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Has there been anything more about the "secret serum" that apparently saved the American victims? Pretty cool story if true.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health/experimental-ebola-serum/

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/08/patient-being-tested-ebola-new-york-city-stop-freaking-out

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

From an email from a friendwho is posted in Freetown:

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dr. Brantly is going to be released from the hospital today, and will speak at a news conference in a couple of hours:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/first-american-ebola-patient-be-released-emory-uni/ng6Y2/

Draft saved Draft deleted