1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leading Ebola doctor dies of ... Ebola

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 29, 2014.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

This one's been going on since March.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Ebola doesn't spread in a way that effectively leads to widespread global outbreaks. In part because people who have it are most often too sick to travel, and in part because it spreads most efficiently in primitive settings.

Outbreaks can be intense, but mostly contained to relatively small geographical areas.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Now we have disease control experts on this site.
    What are you guys doing here?
    Go help ameliorate the crisis.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yep, I believe I've read that the virus' deadliness is the very thing that prevents it from spreading into a pandemic.

What made something like AIDS, for example, so sinister is that the HIV virus can hibernate for years before the disease/symptoms show themselves. So infected people would spend years traveling around infecting others before they realized they even had it. But with Ebola the infected get terribly sick within a week or two after contraction. Which is horrible for them and those in near proximity, but the bright side is it limits how far they can spread it.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There was a bit of a panic at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow when an athlete from Sierra Leone had to be quarantined for four days over possible Ebola. Given the all-clear, but apparently a number of the athletes from Sierra Leone are going to make full use of their three-month entry visas ...

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not only that, but it's a contact disease, so if you don't come into physical contact with it, you don't get it.

Now if it ever developed an airborne strain? Then it would be time to panic.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've heard Ebola compared to HIV in that it's spread mainly by bodily fluids. But I've been told for Ebola that includes feces and urine, which in undeveloped areas are abundantly present. And obviously, Ebola is much more fast-acting.

For us, it's not exactly Captain Trips, but for vast areas of Africa already hammered by HIV, it could be the aforementioned reset.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We are begging for catastrophe here.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

On the one hand, these two are going to be isolated in quarantine, likely until they die in a few days, and ebola is very hard to contract in that type of situation. The CDC folks might even be able to learn something by studying and trying to treat them, which I'm guessing is the thought behind this as much as anything. In addition, it's highly likely everyone on the plane with them will be tested for the disease immediately upon arrival.
    On the other hand, it's FUCKING EBOLA!

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They're bringing the two patients in one at a time?

MSNBC just said the plane in in the air, and headed to Atlanta with one patient. It will then return to Africa to get the second patient.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The jet has an isolation bubble that can only accommodate one patient at a time.

Draft saved Draft deleted