1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leading Ebola doctor dies of ... Ebola

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Gives a whole new meaning to "he died doing what he loved" ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/29/ebola-doctor-dead-sheik-umar-khan_n_5630878.html?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bleeding to death internally?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Gotta love Lou Gehrig. Jesus Christ, poor Lou Gehrig. Died of Lou Gehrig’s disease. How the hell do you not see that coming? You know. We used to tell him, Lou, there’s a disease with your name all over it, pal!"

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe this makes me too prudish here, but I'm not grabbing the humor. This isn't some irony or accident, this is a tragic but foreseeable outcome for a doctor who knew this risk and took the assignment anyway. Many other health workers (including some Americans) have died or are fighting for their lives doing the same work.

This is like making fun of Father Damien for contracting leprosy by working in a leper colony.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Leprosy
    All my skin is falling off of me
    I'm not half the man I used to be
    Oh how did I get
    Leprosy

Sung to "Yesterday" for those who don't know John Valby.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's no humor in it. It's tragic. Ebola is a terrifying disease that's killed close to 700 people.

A friend of mine is posted in Freetown. It's not a nice thing to be going on right now.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, threads apparently get locked now upon the first sign of humor. Straighten up, assholes.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

U.S. charity workers infected:

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sounds like some people at Emory might be a little worried:

Dear Physicians,

You may hear in the media that Emory University Hospital plans to receive a patient with Ebola virus infection in the next several days. We do not know at this time when the patient will arrive. Please be assured that our hospital is prepared and ready. We have a highly specialized, isolated unit in the hospital that was set up in collaboration with the CDC to treat patients who are exposed to certain serious infectious diseases. This unit is physically separate from other patient areas and has unique equipment and infrastructure that provide an extraordinarily high level of clinical isolation. In fact, Emory University Hospital is one of just four facilities in the entire country with such a specialized unit.

Emory University Hospital physicians, nurses and staff are highly trained in the specific and unique protocols and procedures necessary to treat and care for this type of patient. For this specially trained staff, these procedures are practiced on a regular basis throughout the year, so we are fully prepared for this type of situation.

We will provide you with any updates as needed.

Thank you for your commitment to the privacy and well-being of our patients.

Bob, Bill, Ira and Chris

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/31/first-ebola-case-coming-to-atlanta-for-treatment.html#sthash.y4S9ix8Y.dpuf

10. joe

joe Active Member

Make that nearly 1,000 dead now, and the number keep rising every day. Fucking ebola might be the end of us — for real. There is no cure.

With international air travel, no spot on the globe is immune. The world might be getting ready to hit the reset button.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm curious what the latitude/climate limitations on the virus are. Has there ever been an outbreak in a non tropical region?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Ebola outbreaks in the past have inexplicably flamed out. Hope that's the case this time too.

Draft saved Draft deleted