1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lead Sports Designer = The Tuscaloosa (Ala.) News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dave_Wasson, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

Anyone who thinks Florence is a better gig, please let me know what you're on so I can get some. ... and if you don't believe me let me know and I'll start listing some of the awards the T-News sports department has won the last couple of years. Pretty darn impressive.

2. Dave_Wasson

Dave_Wasson New Member

Bump, to reflect unlocked thread -- and still-open position!

dw

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

How deep into the $30K range would this job get? Just asking if the word "Lead" really means anything

4. My educated guess is that this gig would pay mid-30s. Maybe more if the person is right.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Would a paper with a circulation under 40k really pay more than mid-30s for this position?

6. You'd be surprised.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Do tell ...

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Those NY Times regional papers pay fairly well, from what I've heard. I know they have really good benefits. Tuscaloosa is nice. They're a wee bit fanatical about Bear Bryant.

9. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I've seen Slappy play golf. As a golfer, he makes a fantastic hockey player.

10. you can get $50K in the NYT chain if you come in right.

mention your wife and kids, and if you don't have that, make it up.

i was single when i went into NYTreng, was offered $38K, asked for $40K, they said no. took the $38K anyway.

year later, guy with wife and kids came in. he got $53K and an extra week of vacation.

what bullshit they lead you to believe if you walk in single.

tell them you want the job, but the money isn't good enough.

lie long and often if you want. you know they're doing it on their end.

it's like buying a car. bash them till you get the deal you want. walk away if they won't pony it up.

unless you really want that job. then push them as far as you can and take what you can get.

but if you've got any kind of talent and three years of experience, tell NYTreng you'd like the job as long as the salary starts in the mid-40s. and then make them blink first. don't settle for anything less. they'll come back to you soon enough.

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

my experience with nytreng was just the opposite, though I'm sure different papers have their own way of doing things.
    of course, it can also depend on the position. A writer position doesn't have the leverage a management type might have.
    I'm not sure lying about anything is good. If I found out a person had lied to leverage more money or better hours or extra vacation, their employment would be very, very short lived.
    But hey, why don't you try it and get back to us.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

As with my man 2underpar, I just can't disagree strongly enough with the approach suggested here. You can cut a deal that's beneficial to you without lying. If you can't, take a hike.

Draft saved Draft deleted