1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lead sports designer/Fort Myers, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by EdReed, May 10, 2006.

1. EdReed

EdReed Member

The News-Press, a 100,000-circulation daily in Fort Myers, Fla., is looking for a lead sports designer. The person will be responsible for designing and producing daily section fronts, specialty weekly pages and annual special sections, including spring training, football and high school all-area sections.

An APSE Top-10 daily section winner four of the past five years, The News-Press needs a lead designer who can be creative, innovative and thrives under deadline pressure. Newspaper design experience and knowledge of Quark is a must. Knowledge of QPS is preferred. The candidate must have a strong news judgment, the ability to read copy and write headlines and be able to make late adjustments for breaking news.

We will be moving quickly on this position. Please mail cover letter, resume and examples of work by May 31 to:
    Mark Bickel
    Sports editor
    The News-Press
    2442 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
    Fort Myers, FL 33901
    or e-mail mbickel@news-press.com

No phone calls, please.

2. fauowls

fauowls New Member

Ed Reed is a good guy who works for the wrong paper :p

Hehe, I work for a competitor, but I've seen some nice cover designs from time to time. Just if you're not a local, be prepared for a way high cost of living.

3. EdReed

EdReed Member

The cost of living has gone up, but Fort Myers is a lot cheaper to live than Naples. Plus, this is not an entry-level position, so whoever is hired should be fairly compensated.

4. A solid editor and a Pro-Bowl caliber safety. What a combo.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Is this replacing the very-competent Mike Street?

If so, you've got big shoes to fill; I worked with Mike in my past life and he was damn good. Won some design awards in FLA while at Ft. Myers.

6. EdReed

EdReed Member

Mike Street left about 2 years ago to move to Australia with his wife. And yes, he was damn good. Our current lead designer was lured into advertising to design their special sections. Something about better hours and more money. But if you know Mike Street, that is the caliber we are looking for.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Thanks for that update, Ed. That explains why I haven't heard from Mike in a while.

And yes, those are some heavy pages to copy...

8. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Ed,
    Is Pete Stella still in Fort Myers? Is this his gig?

9. EdReed

EdReed Member

Pete Stella is still here. He's our Jr. designer, but he does a few fronts a week and even more now that we have the lead design job open.

10. EdReed

EdReed Member

This is a second call. We are still looking for an experienced sports designer to lead our section. I would think some of you at 30,000 or 40,000 circ dailes wouldn't mind taking a stab at a 100,000 circ. paper's lead design role. And despite the cost of living rising over the past few years, you will not have to live in a box or go hungry to work here. Just don't expect to buy a five bedroom house on the beach. Or to live in Naples.
    Seriously, contact
    Mark Bickel
    Sports editor
    The News-Press
    2442 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
    Fort Myers, FL 33901
    or e-mail mbickel@news-press.com
    You can also call him at 239-335-0357

Draft saved Draft deleted