1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lead sports designer, Dothan (Ala.) Eagle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DeeCee, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Jon Johnson > most sports editors. Much, much >, in fact. Good guy.

Dothan's a good paper, but the location's tough...That's more of a concern for writers than deskers, I guess...their Alabama beat writer is looking at long hours in the car every week, and it's a bit more than a hop-skip-and-a-jump to Auburn.

Mostly due to the inferior press (and it occurs to me they may now have a new one), the Eagle isn't necessarily a place noted for incredibly inventive design seven days a week. But Edwin did a very good job there with what he had to work with. And moving on to Tuscaloosa, unquestionably the best-designed midsize paper in the state, is a testament to Edwin's abilities.

2. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Hey 2under:

Does this ring a bell? Turkish bikini dancer.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They did some decently snazzy stuff back in the day, mostly around all-star selections, recruiting day, etc. For live pages, not as much. And I spent many a night cursing that press, which also handles the other papers in the group. Nothing like a 9:30 press start to render sports irrelevent.

4. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Ouch. It's nothing like that now. Normally, press runs at midnight, so the front has to be out at 11. On prep Fridays, it's pushed back an hour and on Saturdays it's pushed back 30 minutes, but of course we hold for late Alabama, Auburn, and what really drives the section, Troy games. I'm not sure how the deadlines compare to other papers, but we've never had a problem.

5. dixiehack

9:30 in this case was for the bretheren across the state line.

And don't get me wrong. This is a good gig for the right person.

6. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Jon is a cool dude. No doubt. I like the Dothan paper. I know damn near everyone down there, and I consider them all likeable. I can't imagine a lot of in-fighting with that group. Just serene people doing their jobs.

Well, maybe not Crocodile Mundee. He's not serene. Still a cool dude.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What about that Drew Charmion guy....

8. dixiehack

Promise me I'm missing the saracsm font there.

9. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

if you can work with that nutcase, you can work with anybody

10. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

this is back being advertised again, with the hopes that a candidate will be selected and presented to the head honchos at MG headquarters in Richmond, then approved. We've got a couple candidates from when this was first advertised, but there's always room for more. E-mail or call Jon at the address/phone number listed above.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Do they still have the Trojan manufacturing facility there?

12. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

I think the one here shut down about 5 years ago, but I haven't been here that long.

Draft saved Draft deleted