1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lead pics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael Echan, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I'm trying to figure out a new front page template and I'm toying with the idea of having my lead pic floating in the center of the page. Many moons ago back in college, I was told that floaters are a no-no, but I'm not sure whether that's person preference or an actual guideline. Input?

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

If you're a small paper, with limited resources, you do what you have to do to make your section work. These days, there no longer are hard and fast rules.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I read it as him talking about a random standalone as main art. I hope he wasn't talking about floating a photo that's actually pertinent to a story on the page.

4. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

If what you're talking about is wild art with an extended cutline, I don't see any problem with it. I wouldn't do it every day, but here and there definitely is fine.

5. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Dickens was right in that I was talking about a stand-alone picture that isn't anchored to an edge.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We do the "floating photo" thing once in a while with things like YMCA football or youth baseball. Good way to cover it without spending time out there.
    Try a deep 3-column or 4-column (maybe a 3x8 or 4x6 photo) with a tag line above it. Slap the cutline below it like normal.
    You can also put a second, smaller photo below it (like a 2-column) and put the cutline in larger print to one side. Fill up the empty two columns with the cutline. You can also do that with a deep 3-column and a small 2-column, although it'd probably fill most of your page.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

In the redesigned Tribune papers that I've seen, floating graphics and photos teasing to a story inside are becoming status quo, and well, if Tribune is doing it, it must be right.

But seriously, folks: Good standalone art has never been a problem to me. And as noted, great way to give some "off" sports coverage they might not generally get.

Draft saved Draft deleted