1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lead designer/copy editor in Pensacola

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GeorgeMoore, Jun 1, 2006.

1. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

This site is great for spreading the word. I've read the posts about my ASE job, and I've chuckled. It's funny what you can learn about the place at which you work from outside sources. Anyway, yes, there have been a lot of changes. I'm the new SE, and I've been here for more than a decade (minus a year or two spent at school and at the Fresno Bee). We are looking for an ASE, but we have other openings to fill first. The main spot is our lead designer, someone who does more than draw boxes. If you think you're the guy or gal, please apply.

Here's the ad:

The Pensacola (Fla.) News Journal is seeking a sports nut with an eye for editing and a flair for design. We need someone who can design the sports front four or five days a week, work on Sunday centerpieces and help with special sections. Design is just part of the job. Person also needs to come up with and develop strong centerpiece projects.

We're a 60,000 daily that emphasizes high school sports and college football/basketball. Florida State, Florida, Alabama and Auburn are our bread and butter. Pensacola is a great place to live, on the Gulf Coast, just a short drive from New Orleans (three hours) and Atlanta (five).

Qualifications: At least three years of experience at a daily as a copy editor/page designer.

To apply, e-mail resume and pdfs to georgewmooreiii@pensacolanewsjournal.com

or mail resume and clips to:

George W. Moore III
    Sports Editor
    Pensacola News Journal
    P.O. Box 12710
    Pensacola, FL 32591

2. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

Hmm ... no comments about the opening. Are folks being a little gunshy because I can read what is said, or does no one care about an opening in Pensacola? Anyway, just getting the posting back to the top of the board. Please feel free to ask questions or make comments about the paper/opening. Things have changed in the department the past couple of months. We have a sports guy as a publisher, and our executive editor recently left for Louisville. The ME is the acting EE, and he's a sports guy as well. So there are some exciting things in our future.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Both my older brothers wasted years in Pensacola. They said the beaches are white and awesome.

4. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Can you tell me a litle about the newspaper? Circulation? What are the expectations for a lead designer on a daily basis? I am quite familiar with Pensacola and think it is a beautiful area.

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

6. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

On a daily basis, the lead designer would, well, design the front. But special projects, Sunday CPs, etc., are part of the job. I want someone who can do more than just take a photo, slap a headline on it and call it a CP. Someone who is willing to take a chance, push the boundaries.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They prefer to be called women ... oh, wait.

Draft saved Draft deleted