1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lead columnist, Tulsa World

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 3, 2012.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

If I didn't already have a better job, I'd go for this! Good job.

2. bake1234

bake1234 Member

Good gig at my ol' shop. The World covers three D-I football schools - Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Tulsa - plus Oral Roberts basketball. The paper still travels well in football, because the higher-ups have a commitment to covering sports. Even in today's economic climate, I don't see that changing. Some very good high school football and minor league sports (Double-A baseball, hockey and WNBA), and although Sittler never wrote about the OKC Thunder, there are probably some options there, too. It's a darn good gig. Best of luck to all applicants.

3. Apply for this, mltru2tx. They odds are stacked against you with the market and your relative lack of big-time experience, but if you think you've got something at any level that will stand out to someone looking over columnist applications, apply for it. Don't let the jaded people on this site talk you down from your aspirations.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

What he said.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't they? They could hire such a person on the cheap.

7. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

Do I get from the ad, that the expectation is that hardcopies will be received of resume, cover letter and clips?
    Fax or mail? Would it not be better to cheat on the chain of custody and e-mail directly to the sports editor? Anyone? Anyone at the world want to clear this up for me?

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You can go any of those options (they're all listed; I don't know what's so confusing), but I would probably recommend sending the materials to the HR guy. If you wanted to do a follow-up e-mail to the sports editor, that would be a good idea.

9. Traveling

Traveling Member

Having interviewed once with the World, I can tell you that your first interview will be with HR, quite likely over the phone if you're an out-of-towner. Do as the instructions say and send your stuff to HR.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

He's right. Plus, everything HR gets, Michael will have access to.

11. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

Still flummoxed by the instructions.
    It asks for resume only to HR.
    When and to whom do I send a cover letter?
    How many clips should I gather and to whom do I send them?
    I think, without great answers, I will send everything every step of the way.
    Still, I would like to know what HR is expecting.

Will HR simply collect resumes and then the real search will begin when those are whittled down and sent to the sports editor? I hope to have everything sent by this time tomorrow. But any further advice would still be helpful.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Resume often means resume packets. If you're having such trouble, have you considered calling the guy in HR?

Draft saved Draft deleted