1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leach to Wazzu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Dec 18, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Leach to Maryland

No offense, but this insane -- I say that as a matter of opinion, not fact, so we just disagree.

But Mike Leach was an OC at Kentucky for two years, an OC at Oklahoma for a year. And an HC at Texas Tech for 9 years, during which he ran a one-dimensional gimmick offense and put no premium on defense until Ruffin McNeil got there, and there still wasn't really much defense on the field ever. During that time, he had QBs who fit his scheme -- weak-armed, but accurate and able to take the ball in the dhot gun and get rid of it fast enough with the extra time to a gaggle of receivers who spread the field. Kliff Kingsbury, Graham Harrel. It's an offensr that many defenses have actually caught up to, because so many have used it with succes since, and you don't see the same kind of success in general using it today. During several of Leach's middle years, his teams at Texas Tech had a way of beating up on weak teams -- they never really set up a tough non-conference schedule -- and then losing to any good team. The only real exception I remember was the 2008 team, in which he destroyed a ranked Kansas team and beat Texas in that Michael Crabtree killer. Which brings up another point. For a few of those years he had a pro caliber receiver who fit that spread he runs and some serviceable receivers who were good enough in open space. Wes Welker. then Michael Crabtree. My questions: Leach has never proven anything. He doesn't have a National Championship. Texas Tech really lost to the top teams more than it beat them. They feasted on weak teams. He has only one HC job in the past and I'd contend that it is likely that it was the perfect place for him to sit back and snatch up the recruits Texas and Texas A&M were passing on. And in West Texas, you can find good players doing that, even if you are not much of a recruiter: And Leach never had the stomach for that.

Put him in Maryland, and let's see how he recruits. Let's see if 1) that spread really is viable with the players he has and can get, OR if he is adaptable enough to change and start coaching a different offense. I won't rule it out; he is a film junkie and does take his craft seriously.

But to claim that he is better than all of the hires made so far, ignores the fact that he really doesn't have much of a track record, runs a carnival offense that may not translate to the kind of talent Maryland can get -- and he has never shown an ability to coach any other way, he has a propensity for creating controversy, and he doesn't know a lick about defense -- and in the ACC, defense does matter. You don't have all the teams running the spread that the Big 12 had when Leach was coaching Texas Tech. Teams like Oklahoma State, Missouri, etc. who were willing to get into track meets. Ones they lost.

As I said, I won't predict disaster. Leach is a hard worker. I will wait and see how he adapts. I think with the recruits Maryland will always be able to get, he will be as good as his players. And in a school like that, 8 wins and a bowl game should be considered a success. If a coach consistently delivers that, he should get a long tenure there. I just know that Leach is a wildcard, there are a ton of question marks, he comes in with major baggage and he doesn't know defense. That tells me he is not a blue chip coach, similar to some of the other hires already made. He's just "different" and for some reason, a small contingent on this board are seduced by the flash.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The 2 teams in this years National Championship run the "carnival offense"

Outside of winning a National Championship I believe what Maryland wants is a better show for their fans. Leach will give them that.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Leach really isn't a wildcard. If he wasn't dealing with a petty and jealous AD at Tech, he could have coached there for 20 years.

The hardest places to win aren't the smaller schools. It's the Tier B and C schools in the big conferences. The Texas Techs, the Iowa States, the Kentuckys. The have-not in a conference of haves. I don't think the Pac-10 really has one, but I think most of the other BCS conferences have 2-3 teams that fit that category.

4. Boom_70

Exactly -- and the spread that Leach runs is the equalizer because the tier B schools can't draw the top level of recruits a tier A school can.

Leach approach may not win a lot National Championships but it will give Maryland a top 20 team every year that is fun to watch.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Neither team runs the same system as Leach.

6. Boom_70

Agreed - Auburn favors more of a spread run offense and Oregon is more of a balanced spread but still both could be termed "carnival "offenses in Ragu's definition.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm worried this ends up being like Mark Duffner all over again. Jermaine Lewis and Geroy Simon were good receivers, but all I remember is them losing 56-35 every week.

This move is ALL about selling season tickets. Pure and simple.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Mike Leach says (on his own show) he has not been contacted by University of Maryland about the coaching job and that it's a job with "a lot of potential." Said he doesn't want to speculate on the job because, as far as he knows, Fridge is still employed there. Arute quotes a story Joe Shaad wrote on the situation and Leach said, "well, it wouldn't be the first time he got the facts wrong."

Sirius channel 122 if you have it and are interested.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Zing!

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

All things considered, I'm guessing this will not be the last pissy comment about a ESPN employee.

I'm definitely more inclined to believe Schad. Leach is just talking coachspeak.

I don't remember which writer said this, but "The worst thing about coaching searches are that everybody lies to you."

11. The Big Ragu

My definition puts Leach's, "I'd like to go a whole season and never run the ball" (paraphrased) into the carnival category. I do NOT put the run-spreads that coaches like Urban Meyer or Chip Kelly run into a carnival category. I never have. They are not that different than some other time-tested offenses that have always been run in college football. When the whole "Leach to Miami" thread started, I actually said I could see a Chip Kelly type coach there with the type of players Miami gets. Leach would have kept the ball out of the hands of Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, and a bunch of other great backs Miami has had doing what he has always done.

12. The Big Ragu

Agreed, if Mike Leach isn't the coach of Maryland next year, it won't be because Maryland didn't try and they didn't talk.

Draft saved Draft deleted