1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leach to Wazzu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Re: Leach to Maryland

One coach was the crazy guy "everyone knew to keep their distance from when he got too loony," and the other one was Bob Knight?

2. mb

mb Active Member

As I've already said, Friedgen's first three years were about as good as it's been at Maryland in decades. Since then, the Terps have done very little in a terrible conference.

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Compared to the impressive array of bowls TT went to from 2000-08 under the Pirate:
    2000: Galleryfurniture.com Bowl
    2001: Alamo Bowl
    2002: Tangerine Bowl
    2003: Houston Bowl
    2004: Holiday Bowl
    2005: Cotton Bowl
    2006: Insight Bowl
    2007: Gator Bowl
    2008: Cotton Bowl

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Funny how one guy is a miracle worker and the other isn't.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not many coaches can get away with assaulting the school president at a grocery store salad bar.

6. mb

mb Active Member

Leach took a Tech team that had been irrelevant pretty much forever to bowl games every year and made them relevant. Friedgen took a Maryland team that had experienced success, had huge success and then has done very little since in a terrible conference. Leach has been better in a better conference. I can't come up with any other way to say it.

So I suppose I'll agree to disagree and let y'all carry on.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Maryland experienced success when I was a toddler. They didn't do dick when I was growing up and were completely irrelevant in the DC/Maryland area for several years until Friedgen got there.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think you have it backward. Texas Tech wasn't nearly the doormat when Leach took over that Maryland was when Friedgen came in. They had had a bunch of winning, but not spectacular, seasons and played in a bunch of bowl games in the years leading up to Leach.

What is the Maryland team that had "experienced success" before Friedgen you mentioned? Bobby Ross in 1985? The program was a black hole from the mid to late 80s until Friedgen. Two winning seasons (6-5-1 and 6-5) from 1986 to 2000.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

1 co-division title in 10 years is not my idea of "relevant." He had two seasons with fewer than four losses. His predecessor, Spike Dykes, had one over his last 10 seasons … but I ain't changing your mind, and you ain't changing mine.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

BTW, the good folks down at NC State may want to know what Debbie Yow was doing going behind Friedgen's back and trying to push James Franklin to people at Maryland. Doesn't she have enough to worry about at her current job?

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ditto.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Friedgen is a very good coach.

Leach is on the elite level. He has some of that "evil genius" in him that enrages some and intrigues others.

I would have hired Leach over any of the other coaches that have been hired so far this year and that's not saying that some, if any of them, made bad hires.

I'd have to think about it, but I doubt there are five coaches in college football I would hire over Leach.

Draft saved Draft deleted