1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Le Batard: "Time to open a new chapter in my life"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, May 11, 2008.

1. silentbob

silentbob Member

You know, Press is right. Our newspapers deserve every ounce of our talent, energy and loyalty. We should not seek other opportunity, because the print industry is thriving, adding staff, providing training, increasing readership, creating jobs ...... oh, wait.

2. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

So will LeBatard be giving up his daily radio show as well? From the column, I can't tell the answer to that question. If he's not, then all that "getting away from it all" stuff is nonsense.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hey, if you have that kind of talent to change paths in midstream, more power to you. Some of us were trained to do one thing.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'll bet $1,000 that DLB never writes a regular column for the Herald again.

That's not a shot at him, that's just the facts.

And I really will lay that bet.

5. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

DLB was pulling down more per year from the paper in one year than you or I make in seven years, you your point doesn't hold water.

Now, if you want to turn this into a discussion about the $40K beat writer who picks up an extra $5K doing magazine pieces, $5K stringing and $5K for a small radio gig, that's an entirely different story. That poor SOB might be averaging a 65-hour week for most of the year just to keep a roof over his head and foor on the table. With DLB, well, not so much.

DLB has already said he's keeping his role on PTI, and the omission of any reference to his radio work probably means he's too embarrassed to admit he's keeping that gig, too. Fot the next year, though, he's turning his back on the newspaper job that made everything else possible.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm with press on this. Bunch of people could write a column for the Herald, and the Herald's selection of DLB made all his moonlighting gigs possible. So then he dumps on the day job. Newspaper editors get all giddy about what they perceive as "cross-promotion," even though it doesn't help their bottom line one dime. That sort of "cross-promotion" is akin to posting all your content on the Internet for free, thinking it will help your print version. Oh, wait...

Morons in the saddle. At least the Philly paper finally (after cowering way too long) called SAS on his backhanded treatment of his column.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Goodbye, good riddance, don't come back.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Adios to one of the best writers and biggest douches in the business...

9. Death

Death Member

Post of the fucking day. Awesome.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'll bet he starts a giraffe ranch, then writes a touching piece about Terrell Owens feeding them for the first time.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I agree with your point about moonlighting not doing anything for the paper or the writer's quality and in fact hurting both. But the "bunch of people could write a column" ... well, no. He earned that column and for a while he made the absolute most of it. He was an excellent beat writer and the early years of column writing were fucking brilliant. He was immediately one of the nation's four or five best sports columnists as soon as he began writing a column. So it wasn't like the paper gave him a gift by plopping him in there.

12. joe

joe Active Member

Never thought DLB was that great of a writer. And he comes off on TV like a complete dick. But, whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted