1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Le Batard taking year off from paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless I'm mistaken, he doesn't have a wife or kids...

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I think that's what pressmurphy was saying/asking with his post. How could the paper be OK with this, and go along with it?

And the point is, Le Batard will not be just moonlighting in the next year. That implies that he'd be doing both the newspaper work, and the other stuff. Le Batard has essentially quit his newspaper job.

Oh, but wait...not really.

By doing this, in pressmurphy's book -- and others', too -- Le Batard has just become so much of the dead weight about which we all sometimes complain.

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Fair enough. Thanks.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You are not mistaken.

5. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

It's never been a secret that most of the Herald's beat writers hate him.

6. Mizzougrad96

I think he's been dating some Miami sportscaster for a few years.

7. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Is it Orlando Alzugaray?

8. I should have gone to the track today.
    Call me Kreskin.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Saw that one coming, did you?

10. It was a bit hazy but, yes. Yes, I did.

11. silentbob

silentbob Member

I will never, ever understand why certain people in our business begrudge others' success. If you want their fame, go after it. If you don't, ignore it. I don't care if the guy is a jerk or the journalism equivalent of Tony Dungy. He has a nice deal in place. Good for him! I'm allowed to work from home. Good for me!

I love the people who insist they wouldn't put up with this "superstar bullshit." Hate to break this to you, but the superstar establishment exists in your daughter's grade school class. It's pretty much the American way. Or are you saying you'd rather everyone make the same amount of money, work the same hours, have the same vacation days? I'm sure that environment exists someplace in this world. Feel free to explore.

Another thing: Columnists or beat reporters who talk on television or host their radio shows bring credibility to the section. The highest editors at these papers love -- no, that's not strong enough ... LOVE! -- the exposure. Funny thing about it is, almost every time I walk into a pro or college media room, I hear a reporter doing a radio interview. So it's OK to appear on these shows, just as long as you don't host them? These are confusing times. And please don't tell me that a columnist should focus all his energy on the newspaper. NO REPORTER SHOULD FOCUS ALL HIS OR HER ENERGY ON THE PAPER.

I don't know why DLB took his leave of absence. And truth be known I couldn't care less. I do, however, know about five people who will immediately start making calls just to see if there's the slightest chance that job opens. That's productive. This isn't.

12. Mizzougrad96

Five people?! If this job opens, there will be more interest than just about any opening in quite some time.

DLB is one of the best feature writers out there. He's insanely talented. But short of a feature in The Magazine, we rarely see that talent. Most of his Herald columns make him look like the biggest athlete apologist out there. Of the big time columnists, like Paige, Ryan, Mariotti, Whitlock, Poz, Plaschke, Simers, Wilbon etc... He's the only one who I would consider an apologist. Hell, the guy adamantly defends Barry Bonds...

I'd love to see Bianchi or Fennelly move a few hours south and take this gig... I hope it opens... I seriously doubt DLB will be back...

Draft saved Draft deleted