1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Le Batard, Deadspin, the HOF vote

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by H.L. Mencken, Jan 8, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

ESPN not happy:

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz in a statement: “We respect and appreciate Dan’s opinions and passion about Hall of Fame voting. He received his vote while at the Miami Herald. We wouldn’t have advocated his voting approach, which we were just made aware of today.”

Miami Herald not happy (noted: Dan just freelances for it now):

Executive sports editor Jorge Rojas: “Whatever issues might be raised about the Hall of Fame voting process, we do not condone misrepresentation of any kind. Dan had a point to make. We think there are other ways he could have made it.”

Herald columnist Greg Cote adds to the disdain:

“I love that my buddy Dan must now act as if he’d have preferred none of this get out when in fact this is publicity gold … for somebody with a daily radio show who fancies himself a cutting edge establishment-tweaker."

http://hrld.us/1aauuCc

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

What I don't get is how LeBetard "exposed a flaw in the process."

Couldn't anyone who has a vote for anything (AP top 25, Podunk Times Athlete of the Year, President of the United States) decide at any time he's going to sell his vote to anyone?

So how does the fact that he sold his vote expose any issues with this particular process? It doesn't. All it does it call attention to himself so he can criticize the process, which he could have done anyway. He could simply have written a column that says "the system sucks, so I'm throwing my ballot in the trash and never voting again."

Of course, he wouldn't have gotten as much attention for himself that way.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

dan's a dickwad publicity whore. the bbwaa should strip him of his voting privieges; period.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that Le Batard is not a journalist anymore.

He's a radio show host. And he likes it that way.
    If you've heard his show, you probably know that already.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's how he always impressed me, too. Even worse, I don't know what "flaws" he was trying to expose, still.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Tony Kornheiser was a guest on Le Batard's radio show yesterday and called him a "rampant egomaniac," which is ... something:

http://thispodcaststinks.libsyn.com/dl40108-satchmo-calls-le-batard

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A major competitor who has spent a great deal of time reveling in any and all fuckups ESPN makes.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Calling Deadspin a major competitor of ESPN is like calling me a major competitor to William Faulkner. Let's get a grip here. Deadspin is a Website with a large audience. ESPN is a cash cow division of one of the world's largest and most profitable companies.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mizzou is exactly right. If I'm ESPN, and an employee assists Deadspin like that - Deadspin, whose core mission is essentially to ridicule and undermine ESPN - he's an ex-employee this morning.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Le Batard obviously has incriminating photos of someone high up the chain or he wouldn't have a show in the first place.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and what would you do with the asshat who voted for Armando Benitez?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't understand what "flaws" that Le Batard "exposed." Mike Greenberg was on the radio this morning singing hosannahs about how Le Batard accomplished exactly what he set out to do. He turned in a vanilla, defensible ballot that any one of us could have assembled. What was the point?

Draft saved Draft deleted