1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Le Batard, Deadspin, the HOF vote

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by H.L. Mencken, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

From a clown, big surprise.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Who you calling a clown?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Lol, not you. :)

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Hall of Fame voting is a joke. That said, I don't see how Dan got the upper hand here.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure he could have pulled that off. If he was publicly soliciting votes, I would guess the BBWAA would have shut him down and/or not counted his vote. So Deadspin did the dirty work. Like I said, I don't think this was his idea, and he just saw it as a look-at-me opportunity.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The BBWAA can't censor a member. If a columnist says tell me who you think should be in the Hall and I'll vote for them to his or her readers, that's no skin off the organization's nose. Some wouldn't like it, but some like me wouldn't mind. It's hardly a monolithic group.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Tell us again that you aren't determined to punish PED users. The more you post stuff like this, the more we know you just aren't being honest about that.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lost in all this is that the 10 guys Deadspin fans voted for were a pretty damn good collection of deserving Hall of Famers:

Greg Maddux, Frank Thomas, Tom Glavine, Mike Piazza, Craig Biggio, Edgar Martinez, Jeff Bagwell, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Curt Schilling

I'd put Tim Raines ahead of Edgar or Schilling, but otherwise, that's exactly the group I'd have voted for.

9. Investigator Gary

Investigator Gary New Member

Good for him. Hopefully the other gasbag voters get pissed off enough to make fools of themselves out of this whole ordeal.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yep. They were the top 10 in the final voting. Can't fault the result. Still not sure how I really feel about LeBatard's choice. And I wonder if there will be any fallout considering that his bosses at ESPN apparently did not know about it.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had no idea he was on TV, and I'm proud of that.

And good point from TigerVols about generating traffic for a competitor. Pretty basic journalism no-no. Though the j-word is woefully out of place in this discussion.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I wish I didn't know that. Might be the worst show ever put on ESPN. Worse than SportsNation, Numbers Never Lie and in a tight race with the thankfully very-short-lived Unite.

Draft saved Draft deleted